THD bivalve/univalve question.

GuitarDude

• Members

Hey fellas,

Right now I've got a Fender HR Deville 4x10. I'm very pleased with the clean sounds. Typically Fender. Not the best i've ever heard, but it gets the job done.

I've thought about going to a dual amp rig. Then i think, "dude, you dont have a roadie, keep it simple".

I've been thinking about getting a THD bivalve/univalve. not sure which one. I was wondering if anyone had experience running the THD amps as preamps in front of another amp.

I'm leaning towards the bivalve, because if i chose to take just that one to a gig, i want to be sure to have enough power. hard hitting drummer in my band. better to have more than enough than need more right?

so what do you guys think? i know i can clean up the bivalve with guitar's volume knob, i just want to look at all the possibilities.

i know a good OD/distortion pedal can be put in front of my amp (using a TS9 and soon fulltone fulldrive as well) but nothing beats that power tube distorion you know.

thanks,

guitardude.

• Members

they sound great and fit in a duffel bag... super cool amps. i have a univalve and love it, though i kinda wish i had the bivalve - not only for the added power (univalve is surprisingly loud), but the ability to mix power tubes, and the loop and bright switch are all nice features.

my only gripe is that the hot plate seems to randomly change settings when it's used... not dramatically, just slight increases and decreases in volume that are kinda weird. might just be mine though... i'll probably call them sooner or later and ask :D

• Members
Hey fellas,

Right now I've got a Fender HR Deville 4x10. I'm very pleased with the clean sounds. Typically Fender. Not the best i've ever heard, but it gets the job done.

I've thought about going to a dual amp rig. Then i think, "dude, you dont have a roadie, keep it simple".

I've been thinking about getting a THD bivalve/univalve. not sure which one. I was wondering if anyone had experience running the THD amps as preamps in front of another amp.

I'm leaning towards the bivalve, because if i chose to take just that one to a gig, i want to be sure to have enough power. hard hitting drummer in my band. better to have more than enough than need more right?

so what do you guys think? i know i can clean up the bivalve with guitar's volume knob, i just want to look at all the possibilities.

i know a good OD/distortion pedal can be put in front of my amp (using a TS9 and soon fulltone fulldrive as well) but nothing beats that power tube distorion you know.

thanks,

guitardude.

depending on the OD you want from your deville, speakers can go a long way. i run jensen mod 12-35s in my 4x12 (always overlooked and underrated speakers.... other than greenbacks, i prefer them over every celestion i have used.. CL80, V30, GT75 as well as eminence swamp thangs and wizards), hooked my buddy's hotrod deluxe into it, and it is a totally different beast. the cleans are clearer and the OD is opened up and quite good sounding; nice fender overdrive. big improvement to the point both of us couldn't quit smiling. the mod 10-35 is $23/spkr at www.tubesandmore.com and i can't recommend it (mod series) enough. for a total of $92 to re-speaker your entire amp, even if you dont like them (which i am sure you will), it isn't a major investment.

:thu:

• Members

btw the hotplate volume stability thing wouldn't be an issue if used as a preamp - when no speaker is plugged in, it goes straight to a resistive load and the line out shouldn't have any such issue.

the line outs sound great, btw.

Archived