Blofeld Owners- Just scored a Desktop... can anyone give a quick crash course?

wheresgrant3

• Members

I just got a great deal on a Blofeld desktop module, and I wasn't even in the market for one. But it does fill a void in my live setup (or I hope it will). Right now I've been using my Triton Micro-X for a majority of my 'go to' dance/synth oriented patches. I'm hoping the Blofeld with a controller will widen my pallet... especially with basses, leads and thick sawtooth type stacks. Can anyone give a few quick pointers on how to setup patch favorites, navigation,, load samples for playback... etc. If there's a good site for Blofeld owners I an open book. I have a gig Saturday night and I'd love to get this in my live rig.

• Members

There's no Favorites functionality on the Blofeld. However you can use MIDI Program Change commands to switch to the program you want.

Navigation is pretty much explained in the (well written) manual.

If you have your desktop Blofeld with Licence SL, you can load samples. If you don't have Licence SL, you cannot load samples. You need to use the free SPECTRE software (downloadable from Waldorf website) to load samples into it (the caveat here is that you always need to load all samples you want in there, you cannot just select one multisample and load it on top of what's already loaded... a bit peculiar, but what can you do!)

• Members

I gigged with my Blofled for the first time last Saturday and it performed lovely doing pads/leads and basically complementing and supporting my PC3.

I wouldnt rush with getting this baby on stage without getting some getting used to it. There is no favorites ( I arrange my sounds sequentially in one of the init banks ), no numerical input, more or less everything is done via knobs and things can get interesting if you are not careful. Sounds great live, beyond expectations, but for me the interface was initially a bit counter intuitive.

• Members

All the Waldorf manuals I have read have been well-written (Micro-Q, Q, Blofeld, Largo, and the Wave XT though I don't own one). You may also find some humor in there in one or two spots. I can't remember if mine shipped with a quick-start guide and a pdf, or whether it came with the full manual. The manuals are like bright daylight compared with the Virus A manual that I downloaded from Access's web site recently. The Virus A manual reads like it was written by a schizophrenic or was created using a direct machine translation from German.

For its size the Blofeld is a very deep synth.

Archived