Very weird bass problem!

VanArnaoutov

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm havin' the WEIRDEST problem with my bass. I need this fixed ASAP.

It happened right after I opened the cover (that holds the volume knob, etc.)... just to inspect... I put the cover back on and I started getting this weird ass "CRAAAACK" sound every now and then that was most audible when I played back something I recorded.

I troubleshooted all my gear and it came back to the bass. Everything is grounded. I tried recorded a clip of myself playing and then just fiddling around with the bridge, the input knob, the cable, the tone knobs, etc. etc. in an attempt to isolate the problem but nothing... nothing I did made it appear... it really just comes out at random moments... perhaps a faulty wire or something that needs cleaning, etc.? I'm not an expert at this so if someone could point out what commonly occurs in these types of situations I'd really appreciate it.

I wish I could post a clip of the sound it produces but I don't have the time right now. It doesn't sound like anything the bass could produce acoustically, it just sounds like a very bad electric shock.. and it doesn't sound ANYTHING like what happens when you touch your strings (and it's not grounded so it makes a little "pop" noise...) so that's not it either...hrmmm.....!! :mad:

The DI is clean... recording gear is all 100% noise-free... something's up with the bass. I tried putting electric tape all around the pots (inside) and the wiring but that didn't help.

• Members

Hey guys,

It happened right after I opened the cover

So there was no problem before you opened it?

You could have disturbed the wiring somehow. Look at what you did or could have done. You may have pulled on something or twisted it the wrong way, causing a wire to become intermittently open. Look for anything that could cause a intermittent short as well. And get rid of the tape, bad ID!

Good rule of thumb:

It it ain't broke, don't try an' fix it:o

Archived