Laney VH100R finally here. WOW

lenster

• Members

Just spent several hours putiing my new VH100R to the test.

1st , i have to say this thing is really loud .

The clean channel is superb , with boost has really nice low crunch, bluesy feel to it.Lead channel seems to be missing something i prefer the crunch on the clean /boost channel. Did sound much better with my tele though.

Lead channel with boost is huge .

This thing is definately the best amp i've ever owned , can't wait for rehearsals 2morrow to see how it cuts thru with the boys.

Any pointers guys .

:D:thu:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

congrats!!

You're going to be tweaking the VH100R for a bit of time. Very sensitive eq as you know it and you'll soon find more sounds that you didn't think possible. I've been playing with the eq for some time now and after a week, or two....even a month and months to a year you might change your settings. This amp is unbelievable!

Fantastic amp!!!

• Members

Was a bit hesitant going into practice tonight . Thought my lead channel was a bit to harsh but when cranked with the guys it sat in the mix very well. Settings were channel B with drive

Presence 1.5

reverb 3

treble 2

mids 4.5

bass 8

vol 3.5

gain 5

drive 6.

I agree that it will take me time to dial in my happy medium,but from what i've heard so far i'm really stoked.

• Members

how's the VH100R treatin ya? Have you had a chance to stretch her legs out?

Doing great. Love that low-mid tone! She sings at 2.5 to 3 (vol). Very nice. Great lead amp. Sounds pretty good thru the Marshall too.

Thanks.

• Members

Was a bit hesitant going into practice tonight . Thought my lead channel was a bit to harsh but when cranked with the guys it sat in the mix very well. Settings were channel B with drive

Presence 1.5

reverb 3

treble 2

mids 4.5

bass 8

vol 3.5

gain 5

drive 6.

I agree that it will take me time to dial in my happy medium,but from what i've heard so far i'm really stoked.

Pretty close to my settings. Today anyway ;)

Chl B with Drive on

Presence 2

Treble 4

Mid 4

Bass 7

Gain 6.5

Drive 6.5

What cab are you using?

• Members

congrats!!

You're going to be tweaking the VH100R for a bit of time. Very sensitive eq as you know it and you'll soon find more sounds that you didn't think possible. I've been playing with the eq for some time now and after a week, or two....even a month and months to a year you might change your settings. This amp is unbelievable!

Fantastic amp!!!

What do you mean: "More sounds than you didn't think possible"

How many 'sounds" could it possibly have?

EQ doesn't mean more sounds.

Hey...I'm not trying to flame or bust balls....really...just want you to clarify what you mean.

An amp still has a limited voicing. no matter how many channels or vaunted incredible EQ.

• Members

Pretty close to my settings. Today anyway
;)
Chl B with Drive on

Presence 2

Treble 4

Mid 4

Bass 7

Gain 6.5

Drive 6.5

What cab are you using?

I'm using an Orange 2x12

Channel B w/drive ON

Resonance ON

Presence 7 1/4

Reverb 2 1/2

Treble 3

Mid 9

Bass 8

Gain 4 1/2

Drive 7

• Members

What do you mean: "More sounds than you didn't think possible"

How many 'sounds" could it possibly have?

EQ doesn't mean more sounds.

Hey...I'm not trying to flame or bust balls....really...just want you to clarify what you mean.

An amp still has a limited voicing. no matter how many channels or vaunted incredible EQ.

When I said "sounds". I didn't apply to emulating to sound close to other amps. What I mean't was that the VH100R can cover many styles without sounding process or like a one trick pony type of tone. IMO the VH100R is like a jack of all trades covering many musical styles. In terms of the Eq? Yes I would say that it does give you more sounds. The EQ and tone shaping features on the Laney is very,very sensitive and interactive. Any slight changes to your settings and you will hear an audible difference. It's by no means anything like the the Orange RV50, Rivera K55, Mesa Stiletto Ace or the Marshall 6100 that I have which are more forgiving to your sound. The Laney isn't.

But yes, the Laney like many other amps have it's own limited voicing. The eq on the laney has wider range of spectrum of altering your sound than the other amps I've encounter.

• Members

Doing great. Love that low-mid tone! She sings at 2.5 to 3 (vol). Very nice. Great lead amp. Sounds pretty good thru the Marshall too.

Thanks.

i agree. She comes to life around 2.5 to 3.

I'm really enjoying the Marshall as well. I'm dying to take her out for a spin!

• Members

I'm using an Orange 2x12

Channel B w/drive ON

Resonance ON

Presence 7 1/4

Reverb 2 1/2

Treble 3

Mid 9

Bass 8

Gain 4 1/2

Drive 7

Dude I have my settings very similar to that with me gh50L, except I use my loop set to input and have that set to 2-4 acting as a master, I can then push my tubes harder with the master nob set at 4-6.

• Members

Dude I have my settings very similar to that with me gh50L, except I use my loop set to input and have that set to 2-4 acting as a master, I can then push my tubes harder with the master nob set at 4-6.

nice!! I agree. I like to have the tubes pushed a bit to get more saturation! If you get a chance. Try and put a NOS or two for V1 and V2. You love it!

• Members

For even more tone shaping options you guys should try a EQ in the loop. I love my MXR 10-band.

Try cutting 500Hz, and 1KHz a few db. Very heavy!

It can take on caracteristics of other amps. Cut the low-mids, and up the high-mids for Marshall. Scoop the mids, and up the Bass a tad for Boogie, etc.

An EQ in the loop is my favorite pedal.

Archived