proteus 2000 + alesis qs8 controller for basic cover band splits

• Members

I just need piano in one hand/ strings in the other type stuff......

I can do basic program changes with the controller but I dont understand if I'm sposed to make splits in the proteus and page through them with the controller or actually make presets on the controller.........if that makes sense.....I just dont understand how to make em talk to each other correctly.

not a key guy....anyone know what i'm talking about?

• Members

Hi. fyi I don't own a proteus 2k or qs8, but you're probably going to have to find/read the manuals to figure out how it works.

The way i might guess this would work is to figure out how to put your qs8 into 'performance' mode. Then you can choose to transmit a specific midi channel over the key range you want. Then you go over to the p2k and set the sounds you want to the proper midi channel(s). You'll also probably have to 'transpose' those sounds on the p2k up or down an octave to get them to sound in the right range.

It would be much easier to just use the internal qs8 sounds I bet.

• Members

Given the choice I usually program splits and layers as part of the patch on the sound source (synth or module). That way if you replace the controller (by choice or in an emergency) the info is still intact. If you replace the module you will have to reprogram everything anyways.

• Members

Of course that is the best way to go if the P2k supports that kind of thing. I did own a P2k over 10 years ago and I remember it had patch and multi modes, but I can't remember it having a performance/setup mode for easy splits. The manual should be easily downloadable online so I guess for OP that would be the easiest way to find out. I'm sure you could 'layer' the sounds in a patch, but then of course you're getting deeper into patch editing and I'm not sure that's something OP would be comfortable with. :idk:

• Members

Given the choice I usually program splits and layers as part of the patch on the sound source (synth or module). That way if you replace the controller (by choice or in an emergency) the info is still intact. If you replace the module you will have to reprogram everything anyways.

This is what I was getting at. Thanks.

I think i'm just lost in some menus regarding which channels are sending to the P2K from the controller. I'll have to pull it out tomorrow to give it another go.

• Members

Synthaholic, a 1989 Korg M1 lets do that with 8 parts. Then it was 16 part in Triton i think ? and 16 part in roland XP series. I don't remember being able to ever split by velocity in my QS7. Only 4 parts in Yamahas until Motif XS. But QS8 is a good size for gigs

• Members

This is what I was getting at. Thanks.

I think i'm just lost in some menus regarding which channels are sending to the P2K from the controller. I'll have to pull it out tomorrow to give it another go.

While in preset edit mode you'll find an option called "LINK" it allows you to choose a second preset to play at the same time as the currently selected preset. You can then edit the key range, transpose, and volume of the linked preset. My guess is easier said then done on the P2K. Good luck.

Archived