Is the Kurzweil PC3/PC361 being discontinued?

morty77

• Members

It does not say to use apostrophes after numbers, it says to use them after numbers
when the meaning would be unclear otherwise

On that very page, look at the examples:

"Ted couldn't distinguish between his 6's and 0's.

You need to use the apostrophe to indicate the plural of zero or it will look like the word Os. To be consistent within a sentence, you would also use the apostrophe to indicate the plural of 6's."

Note that it doesn't actually approve of 6's as proper by itself, but allows it when combined with 0's for consistency's sake. It even says earlier that it is correct to write "She learned her times tables for 6s and 7s." So normally, one does
not
put an apostrophe after a number... but only if you think the lack of one is likely to lead to confusion.

So based on that link, I would say PC361s is definitely okay to type, and PC361's is arguably an acceptable alternative... it would be right if there were indeed a model PC361S, but since there isn't, and you're trying to avoid confusion with something that doesn't exist, it's probably technically wrong, but not egregiously so since such a model
could
reasonably exist. So Dave, if you want to write PC361's, it's okay with me. ;-) But PC361s is not an error, either.

Isn't that the whole reason why we're discussing this is because the meaning was unclear? If an apostrophe was used this would have never come up. Not the first time I've seen this happen in forums when someone ask "never heard of that "s" model, what is it?"

Archived