Preamp Tube 12AX7 NOS - Position Recommendation

sfx70

• Members

If you have one or two high-quality NOS 12AX7 preamp tubes (Mullard, Telefunken, etc) what tube position would you put them in to full make use of them and to improve the overall tone? The input V1 and then V2 or V3 depending what channel you want to sound the best? Or?

Thanks

• Members

While V1 is the probable answer, it helps to know the function of the tubes in the particular amp and circuit.If you play through a Fender Deluxe Reverb and don't use the first channel, V1 would not be in use.

• Members

I'd put the best one in V1...and save the other one for when something happens to that tube.

A NOS in V2 or 3 is kind of a waste to me.

Depends on the amp. V2 in my Speed Twin is responsible for the lion's share of the od channel, so tube choices in that slot make a huge difference for me. Moreover, V3 is an additional, switchable gain boost for the od channel, and I've recently discovered big differences with different tubes in that slot, in terms of the voicing & gain & feel of the switchable boost. Hell, V4 (final stages for the clean channel) tube changes really reshaped my clean sound, and even the PI in this amp lends an overall sigature to the tone...

In a different amp, I'm sure it would be a different story, though.

C

Archived