OT: Photo guys, some recent stuff, high contrast b/w and night shots

rememberduane

• Members

Not really a "photoguy", but the pictures look great. I like the long exposure time in the first pics, and the b&w pics look pretty pro to me. Keep it up, maybe you've found a suitable hobby next to the sixstring? :)

• Members

Thanks to everybody. It has become a really great second hobby.

I'm using a Pentax K100D digital SLR with the kit 18-55mm lens. For the long exposures I'm just using a $20 or so tripod. It's a bit wobbly, that's why the buildings aren't completely crisp :(.

Thanks again. :D

• Members

I've been contemplating making going with digital, but I'm concerned that they might be "slow", compared to the instant action of my film SLR's.

The digital point and shoots drive me nuts with the focus/adjustment lag.

Obviously the SLR's will be better in this regard, but are they up to film speeds yet? Or even close?

• Members

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse10/images/frontview.jpg

thats what i use..i used to use Nikon/35 SLR film.

and once i started with this..im never going back..

you combine it with the p400 printer and its better

then using film any day of the week..and ive shot

1000's of photos..i did 4-5K slides a couple years back

thru photo shop..never,ever again am i using film.

there's no reason for it..

• Members

Thanks to everybody again.

I find no difference between film and digital as far as speed goes, and I'm not even using a nice lens (or an expensive body with an elaborate AF system, and the AF is much more accurate than my hand, but the Pentax is nice in that it will autofocus and when you turn the focus wheel, it switches to manual focus automatically).

I prefer the ability to edit my natively digital pictures in photoshop rather than trying to scan in prints. And my prints look better after being edited digitally.

And Tobiahtayo, you definitely do. Silky water and night shots are some of my favorite things. :D

Like this one?

edinburghnight.jpg

• Members

Great stuff dude!!!! let me ask you something,, I have a son that plays basketball in high school,, does a DSLR shoot action photography inside ok? I have a Canon point and shoot,, it cant handle sports photography,, thinking about a DSLR. Any brand recomendations? I have a Nikon 35mm film w/lenses, am told the lenses will work with a digital body,, any truth to that? Again,, love your stuff,, I'm especially fond of high contrast BW.
dewster021-1.jpg

• Members

dSLRs, just like 35mm, are great for indoor sports photography with the right lenses. Actually, what I like best about them is there's really no guesswork because you can see your shots right after you take them and adjust from there rather than waiting for a whole roll to come back bad.

But yeah -- if you're looking to stop action with a decent telephoto inside, it's going to cost you a bit as far as a lens goes, but 100-200mm at less than f/3.5 should do the trick depending on how close you are and how bright it is inside.

The other good thing is that if you can't afford an expensive lens but don't think you'll be blowing the shots up very large, you can bump up the ISO on the spot.

Nice dog. :D

• Members

Thanks,,
I was recently at a PGA golf tournament and talked to a photographer there, I asked if everyone's using digital these days,, he laughed and said "there are still just a few guys who use film and the rest of us just laugh at them." I have a buddy who is a professional, old school I guess, he claims he cant stand the digital look, he much prefers film, He says he cant stand that pixel look.Maybe he just needs to be educated. Has digital come that far that it appeals to the hardcore proffesional?

Archived