Casio XW-G1

MuzikB

• Members

They finally have this synth at the Guitar Center in the city and I got to spend some time with it.

Speaking honestly, I was disappointed in it. Although it's great that it's very light and portable and also runs on batteries, I thought the keybed was awful. I also didn't find getting around the interface very intuitive. I may be a bit spoiled on touch screens but this synth does not have a category search for sounds. The sounds were good but nothing of standout quality. The same can be said of the fidelity of the instrument.

I was excited to see it and really wanted to like it but a dance oriented synth should have kick ass drums and be quick to get around to tweak and program sounds. On a personal note, I was like WTF? when I didn't see any Deep House preset patterns.

The Jazz patters and sounds were great though as well as the Chillout patterns but neither is of particular interest to most electronic dance music artists.

I left thinking that maybe the sound set between the two models is just too close. You get a chance, go check it out as they are in the stores now.

Archived