VHT Pitbull UltraLead vs Classic - UL vs CL

sfx70

• Members

The UL and the Classic aka CLX have the same exact preamp sections. The UL has a KT88 power section and the Classic/CLX has EL34's.

The UL will give you tighter bottom end thump and more clarity to all the channels due to the huge amount of headroom(power section is hard to push). So if you are looking for super tight, responsive attack on both rhythm and lead...The UL is for you.

If you want power amp saturation and more sag, the Classic/CLX is what you want.

The Classic amp got renamed the CLX due to Peavey threatening to sue VHT for the name....

The CLX is VHT's top of the line amp.

Steve

• Members

If you want power amp saturation and more sag, the Classic/CLX is what you want.

Steve

Steve, you can probably get close to the UL sound if you use some nice 6L6s in the CLX, right?

For some reason the Ruby 6L6GMSTR sound closest to the 6550/KT88s. I tried Svets, JJs, Sovteks, Chinese.

• Members

Steve, you can probably get close to the UL sound if you use some nice 6L6s in the CLX, right?

For some reason the Ruby 6L6GMSTR sound closest to the 6550/KT88s. I tried Svets, JJs, Sovteks, Chinese.

Probably closer if you use KT77's.

I've never liked 6L6's in my UL, CLX or Classics...

Steve

• Members

KT77s... can you use those in the CLX? I thought they're a EL34 type, so how come a KT77 sounds closer to KT88.. interesting.

A KT77 is closer to a KT88 than an EL34. But they run the same voltage. You get tighter bass response, a cut in sharp midrange, which becomes fuller, and less harsh high end as EL34's are known for.

Some 6L6's can get very muddy and undefined in my experience...

Steve

• Members

can you actually run 6l6's in the clx? I didn't know that...

Only if it has the 6L6 bias switch.

The older UL's and CLX's had a switch.

Steve did away with that due to them not sounding good with the OT's that were in them. He feels that any amp should have an OT designed specifically for certain tubes...

Steve

Archived