The Leipzig-SK is here!

MuzikB

• Members

A $2000 synth vs. a $500 one?

More money, more features. And (evidently) a different sound palette. The more sensible comparison is probably with the Little Phatty.

Though I'm willing to bet that, despite the price gap, the Minibrute has a nicer keybed and wheels. This CME-sourced stuff does have a good feel to it.

• Members

Only $2000 at Noise Bug. I'm curious as to how this is going to hold up against the MiniBrute.
:confused:

{censored} that, I picked up a mint Leipzig Rack on Craigslist for $450 not more than two weeks ago. :thu:

• Members

More money, more features. And (evidently) a different sound palette. The more sensible comparison is probably with the Little Phatty.

Even though it has fewer knobs I would just go for a Little Phatty. If you have a keyboard controller already you could get a couple of Slim Phatties, a Slim Phatty and a FR XS, or a Little Phatty and a used analog sequencer or a new FR Orb. Inexpensive Oberkorns come up over at muffwiggler.com fairly often.

• Members

Was it worth it? How's the sound? The filters?

For the price, most definitely yes though it's a rather unruly beast and can sound rather rude too say the least. Nowhere near as polite as a Moog for example and it has a unique character of their own and is superb for bass sounds and has sue interesting mod routings.

• Members

Closer than the Mopho keyboard?

It's an utterly different beast altogether.

Some things to bare in mind -

It has 24db ladder filter but it's not as steep sounding slope wise as a Moog filter to these ears but it does have stupid amounts of bottom end I must confess and can sound utterly brutal on bass sounds.

The envelopes are a tad funky - try one first (they are stupidly fast and incredibly snappy) don't get me wrong, they just seem to behave differently to envelopes in other synths I've used and take a bit of getting used to.

Both oscillators have independent glide which can make for some insanity if used on both or on one and not the other.

VCO2 Sync works with VCO1, LFO Square wave, and any External Input.

It thankfully has a noise generator

Modulation is more in-depth than you'd expect too

Mod destinations are VCO1 pitch/VCO2 pitch/ Filter (Cut off)

Mod Sources are VCO1: LFO try/sq/, EG1 and VCO2 SQ

VCO2: LFO, tri/sq, EG2, Midi (modulation CV/CV2)

Filter: LFO Tri/Sq, VCO2 SQ, Midi (mod CV / CV2)

Both VCO's have PWM the LPF has EG1 and Keytracking also.

It does however have bucket loads of character (which is what I love about it) and it's rather idiosyncratic interface is fun once you experiment some and get used to envelope behaviour.

• Members

keyboard version is NOT the same spec.

Ok, what I assume is:

Leipzig - 975 dollars at Analogue Haven - 2VCO monosynth module

Leipzig-K - 1499 dollars - keyboard version of Leipzig

Leipzig-S - 1199 dollars - 2VCO monosynth module with analogue sequencer built-in

Leipzig-SK - ?? - keyboard version of Leipzig-S

I could be wrong...

• Members

Ok, what I assume is:

Leipzig - 975 dollars at Analogue Haven - 2VCO monosynth module

Leipzig-K - 1499 dollars - keyboard version of Leipzig

Leipzig-S - 1199 dollars - 2VCO monosynth module with analogue sequencer built-in

Leipzig-SK - ?? - keyboard version of Leipzig-S

I could be wrong...

No, I think that that's about right.

Archived