Ever use the Roland CM-220 speakers (another "which studio monitor to buy" thread)

• Members

Hi All,

I will be purchasing some at home monitors sometime in the near future for my Korg Kronos, and I need advice on what to get. Now, I have NO need to record, they are purely for at home use, and the most that will be plugged into them is my Korg and a mic. The catch is, I am a big time audiophile, and sound quality is crucial, so, even though I won't use them to record, and don't need them to translate worth beans to other speaker systems, I need them to sound FANTASTIC with the Korg running through it. For my budget, I'd like to be in the $400 - $600ish range total. This system will be running in my 12 x 15 untreated office, so I can't have too much bass or speakers that will ONLY sound good in a highly treated room.

I was considering the Roland CM-220's, having some recomendations on these being exceptional monitors designed for keyboard. However, on looking at the specs from the Roland site, they seem like highly overpriced computer speakers? Anyone have experience with these, because if they are just computer speakers with the term "pro audio" slapped on them, wouldn't I be just as well off (if not better) with some $400-$500 computer speakers?

Any advice on the 220's or general excellent non-recording great sounding monitors is welcome! Thanks in advance.

• Members

for the size of room that you have, the current crop of budget priced studio monitors would be perfect for you. if sound is important to you, there's no reason to avoid speakers because they're 'recording' oriented - especially since you'll get the best use out of nearfield type speakers. KRK, M audio and yamaha powered speaker pairs all fit within your budget, and you would be very pleased with them!

• Members

for the size of room that you have, the current crop of budget priced studio monitors would be perfect for you. if sound is important to you, there's no reason to avoid speakers because they're 'recording' oriented - especially since you'll get the best use out of nearfield type speakers. KRK, M audio and yamaha powered speaker pairs all fit within your budget, and you would be very pleased with them!

+INFINITY...I've used my the monitors in my sig for years now and absolutey love them, and often times I use them just to play solo piano through or mess aroud with soft synths or other VSTis when I'm not recording...there is a new generation of them out, I believe they are the M-Audio BX5a D2, there are also the KRK Rockit's and the Yamaha HS50M's. They're all slightly under your budget and I think you'd be happy with any of them, if there's a store near you where you can try them out side by side that'd be ideal, if not just do some more reseach on each and figure out will be best for you...TBH, though, a lot of it comes down to a matter of opinion when you ask someone which is best in this range...good luck.

Archived