Pittsburge Modular Foundation

MuzikB

• Members

Yeah this thing looks good. I'm debating between this and the Paia 9700 system. I like the kit aspect of the 9700 and the price, but maybe the Pittsburgh might sound better. I've compared the modules in both featurewise and they seem pretty close functionally. The Pittsburgh does look great too. I think the preorder at Nova is around 15 or so. If I had more cash I might make a move. The Paia will take more time to build, time which I probably won't have until the winter. To many projects right now.

• Members

it looks cool as a mono synth and I was seriously tempted. I'd rather use the extra cash i'm saving from not getting a rmbp to invest in a serge panel or something more nuanced and textural.

I hate to make this into a soft vs hard debate but I've been using reaktor since the generator days and have tassman and feel unless I could get a really exceptional system modulars are just not worth it.

the interaction and whatnot are often cited as reasons to go into modulars and I've had full blown analog setups I just feel personally cars, swag and getting chix is more important than constantly being broke lol

• Members

it looks cool as a mono synth and I was seriously tempted. I'd rather use the extra cash i'm saving from not getting a rmbp to invest in a serge panel or something more nuanced and textural.

I hate to make this into a soft vs hard debate but I've been using reaktor since the generator days and have tassman and feel unless I could get a really exceptional system modulars are just not worth it.

the interaction and whatnot are often cited as reasons to go into modulars and I've had full blown analog setups I just feel personally cars, swag and getting chix is more important than constantly being broke lol

I'm just rediscovering the joy of mono's and samplers. Loving the SLimphatty now and it's just as good playing it polyphonically in Iris.

This system was cheaper than others I've seen. I already have a nice car, get a retirement check for the rest of my life, and have an awesome girlfriend. ;)

• Members

Calling donaldcrunk....

I inquired about the Foundation a while back here, and the response(s) I got were along the lines of:

1. Looks like a solid starter modular

2. The case it comes in doesn't allow for any expansion. As soon as you feel compelled to add more modules, you have to look for another case, and a power supply for the new case and...

At the time I was flirting with the idea of selling my Voyager and going all-in, into the hardware modular world. But I love the sound of the Voyager too much to let it go. My Nord Modular G2X has also kept the real modular GAS at bay - even today there are still some dedicated users patching together amazing virtual modulars on it.

• Members

i think the foundation is cool, and sounds good - but as mentioned you would not have any room for expansion or customization. you may save a _bit_ of money going this route, but DIYing or purchasing a 6u case and filling half of it to start out with isn't going to cost a lot more, and you get the modules that you would really want.

there are some exceptional modules in the foundation to be sure - their filter is really awesome, and their inclusion of a dedicated ring mod module is great - but there's a lot of other stuff you're going to want to try.

also, speaking of dedicated systems, this is the latest iteration of the make noise complete system that they will be offering for sale at some point -

7fed82faad0211e1b9f1123138140926_7.jpg

lots of wiggling to be had with that 6u

• Members

Yeah this thing looks good. I'm debating between this and the Paia 9700 system. I like the kit aspect of the 9700 and the price, but maybe the Pittsburgh might sound better. I've compared the modules in both featurewise and they seem pretty close functionally. The Pittsburgh does look great too. I think the preorder at Nova is around 15 or so. If I had more cash I might make a move. The Paia will take more time to build, time which I probably won't have until the winter. To many projects right now.

i started with the 9700. don't bother - expansion is going to be frustrating in frac, and you'll go nuts soldering all the flying wires on the 9700.

• Members

First and foremost, I need a 19" rack for the modules to go into.

Second, I can pass on the oscillators and just use my Slimphatty (and Minibrute) for that.

Third, make sure the input/mixermodule has 2 inputs 1 for the Slimphatty and one for the Minibrute.

Forth, a good multimode filter module.

The rest is extra. I pretty much just need to make an expansion setup for my monosynths.

• Members

the tip top audio racks are pretty good for the price. they sell them here at moog audio for around $150 I think that includes the power supply.

I think amsynth makes a cool replica of the jp8 and arp 2600 voltage controlled filters. One of those tb 303 oscillators and an ms 20 filter replica and maybe some mooger foogers and silent way would be enough for me.

but then there's cwejman, Macbeth, make noise, harvest man, malekko (wiard), etc I see myself being hopelessly addicted to euro rack lol some of those modules are more expensive than whole synths !1 lol

• Members

that's a good start, another suggestion would be a random/pseudorandom module such as the wiard Noisering or the Wogglebug. modules like this can be quite a bit more useful than they seem on the tin i've found.

here's the expansion rack i would create to the Minibrute, including the modules you already mentioned -

muzikbrsug.jpg

the echophone is sort of a love it or hate it thing, so you may prefer a distortion device such as the geiger counter from WMD or a different delay, or some other non-filter type effect.

i think having the low pass gates and A/R generators will make the small setup a lot more useful for rhythms & what not than just another standard ADSR. you'll have plenty of those on your existing synth i think.

your analog oscillator selection is indeed fine with your synths, but consider getting a wavetable oscillator in euro someday. the piston honda or e350 or something similar offers a LOT of timbral variation in a very immediate and voltage controllable way. unabashedly digital, but that can be cool too.

• Members

Nice. So, how is power applied to all these? All the companyies don't offer a Power module.

personally, i would go with one of the new Tip Top power systems. these can be had in several flavors - one includes a module - sized intake with a 'flying bussboard' type design, letting you pretty much use anything that will fit modules as a case. not an ideal system for expansion - and you waste HP with the power module - but definitely the most simple for a small system. there's a couple similar designs out there as well.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/tiptopaudio/uzeus/

if there is any question of expansion to another row in the future you may well need an additional power supply, or to replace the power supply with a larger capacity model. i'm a that point myself.

the modular world racks will work, but i wasn't terribly impressed by the tapping of the aluminum rails in these models. they were built by a dude in china who has since stopped manufacturing. i think the tip top Z rails would be a better choice, but whatever works works. tip top does sell a model that can double as a desktop unit

http://www.analoguehaven.com/tiptopaudio/zearstabletop/

i don't know how your studio ergonomics are, but you may desire the modules to be nearer the tabletop boxes they're processing to ensure max tweakability - or you may want to pop the rails into a different enclosure someday. i did not enjoy having my early modular in the studio rack at all with the 'set and forget' stuff that usually inhabits it.

Archived