Mesa 'Export' transformer?

warped79

• Members

This ebay listing states in the Q&A section that the amp has an export original mesa transformer for various voltage taps. 115v, 220v, 230v, 240v. Did anything like this ever exist? I thought it was always the case that if it wasn't the correct voltage you needed a step up/step down transformer - and hadn't heard of any tube amps with variable power transformers?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mesa-Boogie-Triple-Rectifier-Head_W0QQitemZ260111889561QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

This ebay listing states in the Q&A section that the amp has an export original mesa transformer for various voltage taps. 115v, 220v, 230v, 240v. Did anything like this ever exist? I thought it was always the case that if it wasn't the correct voltage you needed a step up/step down transformer - and hadn't heard of any tube amps with variable power transformers?

At present I know Mesa do not sell Rectifiers here in the USA that come with anything other than 120VAC taps. Give Mesa a call and ask to speak with their technical department regarding the 2-channel models.

We have a lot of customers who were asking us for a replacement Mercury transformer for over seas voltages as they want to purchase a Dual Rectifier here, have the transformer upgraded and then have the amp shipped to them. We now offer custom designed (direct drop-in) Mercury Magnetics power transformers in the following voltages; 120V, 220V, 230V and 240V. These direct drop-in replacement power transformers.

Hope it helps

Trace

• Members

Mesa do do them, they are just rare - especially in America. I think it was an extra-cost option.

Mesa are stupidly expensive everywhere else in the world and they do that with the transformers to try and make cross continent sales more difficult.

Otherwise I could buy 20 Triple Recs and sell them here - even after shipping and taxes I'd be thousands of pounds up.

• Members

A lot of amps have switchable output transformers.

But maybe it is less common in American ones since you guys are quite "US-centric" - what's the stat? Something like only 10% of Americans have a passport? If that few of you guys leave the country, then the amount of amps leaving must be miniscule.

But then it is a lot easier for us Europeans to cross borders.

Archived