OT: Drums Samples (wav files?)

Duke of Metal

• Members

hey guys,

I remember a while back there was a thread about this topic but cant seem to locate any of it.

What are some packages that can be found on the net or purchased that have real good drum samples? basicly kick, snare, Highhat, Toms, etc.. I am looking for sounds that sound somewhat real and not midi sounding.

If i remember correctly, people said the First DrumKit From Hell was nothing but samples and they sounded pretty real.

any info would help.

Thanks

• Members

What are you looking for exactly? Just sample CDs/DVDs or sampler software to playback the samples as well. There are a load of decent sample CDs/DVDs available and they all sound like the real thing because they are recordings of the real thing. :lol: Just choose what kits you want.

If you want a complete package, samples, midi patterns & sampler to run in a host like Cubase, I recommend EZdrummer and the expansion packs. You can rapidly create great sounding drumtracks with it, it is relatively cheap and has to be about the easiest sampler/drum machine to use. It's negative points are limited tweaking and you can't use 3rd party samples.

For knocking up scratch tracks and getting out ideas quickly I use Battery 2 for my sampler and load custom kits of samples that take up little memory, I'm now also using EZplayer Free to quickly navigate, preview and use my library of midi patterns.

I can upload some of my scratch track kits samples for you if you want? Or maybe do an EZdrummer demo mp3?

• Members
What are you looking for exactly? Just sample CDs/DVDs or sampler software to playback the samples as well. There are a load of decent sample CDs/DVDs available and they all sound like the real thing because they are recordings of the real thing.
:lol:
Just choose what kits you want.

If you want a complete package, samples, midi patterns & sampler to run in a host like Cubase, I recommend EZdrummer and the expansion packs. You can rapidly create great sounding drumtracks with it, it is relatively cheap and has to be about the easiest sampler/drum machine to use. It's negative points are limited tweaking and you can't use 3rd party samples.

For knocking up scratch tracks and getting out ideas quickly I use Battery 2 for my sampler and load custom kits of samples that take up little memory, I'm now also using EZplayer Free to quickly navigate, preview and use my library of midi patterns.

I can upload some of my scratch track kits samples for you if you want? Or maybe do an EZdrummer demo mp3?

Are you kidding me? EZdrummer has a HUGE amount of tweakage. Since it's a DXI, you can send it to a synth rack, and have 8 individual tracks. The only bad thing is that theres 1 track for all teh toms. But other than that, it's great. You can eq it all you want, and add whatever effect you want to each track. Just like a real drumset. I love it.

• Members
Drumkit from hell is a big library of short "samples" of a single beat. And you use fruity loops to "build" a drumbeat by putting them together.

You can find both programs here:

www.scrapetorrent.com

;)

Also, if you get EZ drummer, you can use an already made midi track, and make it single hits if you wish. So you can basically take any midi of any song ever made, and take the midi drums, and make them sound badass.

• Members
Are you kidding me? EZdrummer has a HUGE amount of tweakage. Since it's a DXI, you can send it to a synth rack, and have 8 individual tracks. The only bad thing is that theres 1 track for all teh toms. But other than that, it's great. You can eq it all you want, and add whatever effect you want to each track. Just like a real drumset. I love it.

{censored}, how did I miss all those features! Yes, there's loads of tweakage. :freak:

I'd call that the bare minimum, mate. :lol:

Have at look at what a standalone sampler, like Battery, does then get back to me. ;)

• Members
OK, sounds like DFH might be for you then. DFH Superior is the latest version and has 35GB of data. The older versions DFH & DFH 2 have a lot less data and are about half price (over here) if you can find them. There is also an expansion pack for EZdrummer called EZX DFH make sure you don't get that by mistake.

{censored}, how did I miss all those features! Yes, there's loads of tweakage.
:freak:

I'd call that the bare minimum, mate.
:lol:

Have at look at what a standalone sampler, like Battery, does then get back to me.
;)

I think you can incorporate Battery as a VST too.

• Members

I have a double CD of exactly what you're looking for. It's called "New York City Drumworks" by sampleheads. has tons of sample patterns, and individual samples of the whole kit. I'll make you a copy, just send me your address and i'll send it out to you. If it's what you're looking for, you owe me one (=

These are "Live" drum samples btw... not midi.

• Members

OK, sounds like DFH might be for you then. DFH Superior is the latest version and has 35GB of data. The older versions DFH & DFH 2 have a lot less data and are about half price (over here) if you can find them. There is also an expansion pack for EZdrummer called EZX DFH make sure you don't get that by mistake.

thanks! I'll check out DFH.

See, if I can find atleast 4 or 5 good sounding sample of each drum piece (Kick, snare, HH, etc..) then I am good.

cheers

• Members

I normally use battery for my drums but have also had problems getting some good drum samples. Those extreme metal drum loops sound great though, and for the price I might just get it for quickly getting ideas down or for jamming.

Plus I suppose I could always strip some individual hits. Not ideal but for demos it would be alright.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

if you guys have an extra few minutes, please check out my collection at
www.stevenslatedrums.com

I have a different approach to drum sounds. They are "pretweaked" and ready for the mix with little to no extra processing needed.

Everything was recorded to 2 inch tape, and I used some of the best sounding modern and vintage gear to tweak everything to perfection. I started out by supplying a lot of the big LA mixers with drum samples and just last January released the whole collection to the public. Hope you dig. We got cymbals and sampler mappings for Kontakt, Battery, Halion, Reason, GigaStudio, and more, coming out as a free upgrade soon.

Archived