Midi magic. Controlling one keyboard with another keyboard

• Members

Sincere question. Not very good when it comes to the technical stuff. Here's what I would like to do:

Say I have a weighted 88 key master keyboard (random workstation). On top of that I have a small non-weighted midi keyboard. I want to use the non-weighted midi keyboard for high speed, awesome synth leads, but I want the sounds to come from the 88. Is that possible? We are talking about a setup for live situations.

Also, would it be possible to use a piano sound using the 88 keybed at the same time as the midi keyboard triggers another sound (from the 88) or will that make even the most modern workstation explode?

The alternative would of course be to do some finger strength training...

• Members

Also, would it be possible to use a piano sound using the 88 keybed at the same time as the midi keyboard triggers another sound (from the 88)

Yes, as long as the 88 is "multi-timbral" (capable of playing multiple sounds at once, on different MIDI channels). Any keyboard that calls itself a "workstation" can do this, and most others as well. But there are some instruments, like Nord Electro, that can only produce one sound at a time.

• Members

So ... if I understand correctly ... I could get a MIDI controller, hook it into my Juno-Di and assign one sound, and also assign a different sound to the DI itself, and then play both keyboards simultaneously and have both sounds output by the Di?

That would be very helpful and represent a low cost solution to provide two keyboards at once.

• Members

That should work fine. Set your MIDI controller to, say, channel 2, and then on the Di, assign the sound (the one you want the controller to trigger) to MIDI channel 2. (By default, the Di's internal sounds should trigger as assigned to MIDI channel 1, that's what you'd be playing from its own keyboard.)

It's even better if you pick a controller that can has an easy way to send Program Change commands. Then directly from the controller you would be able to choose different Roland sounds that you want that controller to trigger. Unfortunately, sending program changes from controllers tends to be tricker these days than it used to be, as most controllers these days are designed more for computer interfacing than for live gigging.

Which reminds me, again, you have to pick a controller with a standard MIDI out. The cheap ones that just have USB won't work for this, since they don't have any place to plug a MIDI cable into.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I've been attempting the same thing. I recently got a Keith McMillen 12 step (midi foot controller) and had hoped to be able to control my Casio CTK6000 with it while playing guitar at the same time. I figured out how to control the keyboard with the 12 step through a program called Cantabile, but the keyboard only makes the standard piano sounds when controlled, and not any of the synth or string patches I have it set to. Is there a way to fix this? I want the keyboard to use the patches it is set to when I use the 12 step to control it, not just that cheesy stock piano sound. Thank you

Archived