Good amp tech in Boston area?

stvgray

• Members

I'm relatively new to the Boston area (Canton, MA), and I need to find a good amp tech to work on several vintage amps.

Can anybody recommend someone in this area who knows what he's doing and does good work?

Steve

• Members

I think the proximity of the tech is only an issue if you plan on hauling the amp there personally and dropping it off. Once you've decided that it's easier to just pull the chassis and mail the guts, it doesn't make a difference if the guy is in an adjacent town or another state (other than a few extra bucks shipping.) You get the added benefit of using a tech based on his reputation and knowledge instead of his convenient location that way too.

Bottom line: Don't rule out shipping your amp's insides to a good tech. It's not that hard.

I really like Paul Rixon (robinamp@comast.net) He does great work.

• Members

A lot of my friends bring their stuff to Aztech electronics in Watertown.

Probably because Allston to Watertown is all of 4 miles. But in all honesty? Friends don't let friends take their stuff to AZ-tech. They're bench rate is really high, AND their work is not so good. I know, I'm a past customer. They messed up quite a number of my amps in the past :cry:

Your mileage may vary though, but for my money, an amp should not break/blow up 1-2 weeks after getting it back from a tech. :idea:

• Members

Probably because Allston to Watertown is all of 4 miles. But in all honesty? Friends don't let friends take their stuff to AZ-tech. They're bench rate is really high, AND their work is not so good. I know, I'm a past customer. They messed up quite a number of my amps in the past
:cry:

Your mileage may vary though, but for my money, an amp should not break/blow up 1-2 weeks after getting it back from a tech.
:idea:

Duly noted. I don't get problems with my amps that I can't take care of myself. You have a very good point with the comment, they've worked on my friends Dual Rec several times with it having to go back for more problems. Just figured it was the head.

• Members

Thanks for these suggestions.

Last night I asked Duke Robillard who he uses, and he recommended Bob Fenton at Providence Music Service in Pawtucket, RI. That's only 25 minutes from my house, so I ran down there with my Double Deluxe.

We'll see how it goes. Still interested in hearing about other local techs, though.

Steve

• Members

I'm relatively new to the Boston area (Canton, MA), and I need to find a good amp tech to work on several vintage amps.

Berkleebill & Eshawn60, thanks for the referral! We do a great deal of work on vintage amps (IE: restorations, repairs, etc) and would be more than happy to talk with you about what amps you have, the work you are looking to have done, etc and we can give you estimates as well. You are also welcome to drop them off/pick them up or ship them (whatever is easiest for you over all).

Can anybody recommend someone in this area who knows what he's doing and does good work?

The only person in your area that I would feel confident in recommending would be;

Alan Phillips

Carol-Ann Custom Amplification,

Tel: 978-857-9026

Email: fenflame@comcast.net

12 Sterling Lane, Haverhill, MA, 01835

Feel free to give us a call or drop an email

Trace

• Members

Berkleebill & Eshawn60, thanks for the referral! We do a great deal of work on vintage amps (IE: restorations, repairs, etc) and would be more than happy to talk with you about what amps you have, the work you are looking to have done, etc and we can give you estimates as well. You are also welcome to drop them off/pick them up or ship them (whatever is easiest for you over all).

The only person in your area that I would feel confident in recommending would be;

Alan Phillips

Carol-Ann Custom Amplification,

Tel: 978-857-9026

Email:
fenflame@comcast.net

www.carolannamps.com

12 Sterling Lane, Haverhill, MA, 01835

Feel free to give us a call or drop an email

Trace

I wish I had known about this guy 6 months ago.. my amp came back sounding worse than it did when it was dying from the tech I sent it to. :cry:

• Members

Thanks for these suggestions.

Last night I asked Duke Robillard who he uses, and he recommended Bob Fenton at Providence Music Service in Pawtucket, RI. That's only 25 minutes from my house, so I ran down there with my Double Deluxe.

We'll see how it goes. Still interested in hearing about other local techs, though.

Steve

Duke is cool.

Bob Fenton knows his {censored} for sure.

Bob is the only Marshall, Fender, etc. authorised amp tech in RI for warranty work.

Bob Lipet is excellent at Noll Guitars 401-275-0880

173 Macklin St.

Cranston, RI 02920

The two owners that work on guitars can repair anything if you need guitar work.

Alan Phillips as mentioned is the man in Mass.

Hi Alan!

He just made my '76' JMP 2203 sound like new.

Archived