Pod & 2:90 live?

jrk5150

• Members

How would a podxt pro sound played through a mesa 2:90 power amp? Seems like it should be able to pull off any tone. I was thinking this would make transporting my gear easier, while also allowing for more tonal options. Has anyone tried this? Would it sound good, ok, or like crap?:confused:

• Members

I think Dino was using a marshall power amp at one point, but maybe he used a mesa too. I was just thinking that instead of taking my amp and a rack full of stuff, I could have the pod as a preamp, effects box, and midi controller all in one. This would make life much easier. I'll only consider it if it would sound good though!

• Members

I think Dino was using a marshall power amp at one point, but maybe he used a mesa too. I was just thinking that instead of taking my amp and a rack full of stuff, I could have the pod as a preamp, effects box, and midi controller all in one. This would make life much easier. I'll only consider it if it would sound good though!

Well if it doesn't work, at least you still have a kickass poweramp.

• Members

I play mostly hard rock and metal. The stuff I write is onthe heavier side of metal, but I like playing all sorts of music with several of my friends too. They play everything from surf rock to florida style death metal!

• Members

It's a cool setup, but for some weird reason, you feel really disconnected when you play it. You aren't 'connected' like you are when you play a tube amp. When you play a tube amp, it feels just so natural and your playing just comes out so naturally(if you can play haha)

I wouldn't recommend it, but with a tube poweramp, it might be an alrigth setup. Definitely don't don't don't use a solid state poweramp with it.

• Members

I guess, just to try it, I could run the pod through the fx loop on one of my 5150s. Would this sound ok, or would the sound through the mesa be worlds apart?

That would yield pretty similar results. The mesa will be noticably different though.

• Members

i used my modelers through a 4x12 with modeling speakers and a 2:90 for a while and it sounded great. then went to 2 212's for stereo sep.

you will have to adj the gains on the modeling amps since they are already simming the amp tone and cabinets.

now its simple and I use a Switchblade head with 4 Ev's in the cab! no need for stereo with 2 Guit players in the group

• Members

Should sound very good. I used to run my POD into the FX return of my 5150 just for versatility and almost every gig I'd get people saying that the 5150 sounded great. The look on their faces when i explained that it was mostly a POD was usually priceless! :D

Just remember to turn off the cab simultion.

• Members

Sweet! Would the pod through the 5150 sound as good as if it were through the mesa?

Not sure, (doesn't the 2:90 have 6L6's like the 5150?), but mine sure as hell sounds damn fine.

Not familiar with te Mesa amp, but with the 5150 you've got the bonus of the 'resonance' and 'presence' controls in the power section which you can use as an overall EQ after the POD.

• Members

Not sure, (doesn't the 2:90 have 6L6's like the 5150?), but mine sure as hell sounds damn fine.

Not familiar with te Mesa amp, but with the 5150 you've got the bonus of the 'resonance' and 'presence' controls in the power section which you can use as an overall EQ after the POD.

The cool thing about the 2:90 is that you can use the Deep Mode & it will sound very close to using a 5150 as a power amp.

• Members

I guess, just to try it, I could run the pod through the fx loop on one of my 5150s. Would this sound ok, or would the sound through the mesa be worlds apart?

don't run it in the loop. instead do this:

guitar -> pod -> EFX Return on your 5150.

turn off cab sims on your pod. now you have the POD as a preamp, into a tube powersection, without any coloration from the 5150's preamp section. your POD's master volume will be your amp's master volume as the 5150's power section will be running wide open. none of the tone or volume blahs on your 5150 will work, but the presence and resonance MAY work..... not sure.

:wave:

Archived