So I impulse bought a Vox

zack

• Members

AC30CC head. $650 at the local store. Is this a good price, the head is near mint. It sounded great there. Can't wait to run it through my rig at the practice space. How do you guys deal with using it as a two channel amp?

• Members

I really like those heads. I think it's my next amp purchase. It's the best amp for rock I've heard for the money. I would love to match it up with a 2x12 with some blues. I've played them a bunch of times.

I was in a store today and tried the Fender 57 Twin reissue (LoPo tweed twin), Bassman LTD reissue and the Vox was the best all round dirty to clean amp. This was amazing as it was considerably cheaper than the others. The 57 Twin when cranked up with a SG was dirty magic but it's clean sound actually wasn't the best. Plus it's $2K ouch! It just proves to me that it's not whether it's handwired or not, or whether you're using $6 capacitors vs. 35 cent ones. It's basic circuit design that rules the day, not so much the components used.

If I actually had 2K I would still but the Vox (and the SG) :)

Plus, even though the Vox's sound good at lower volumes, jeez, when you crank that master over 12O'clock it's just a smokin' R'n'R machine.

Archived