Voyager Select Series to be discontinued?

Gribs

• Members

They probably haven't been selling a lot of them.

When the Voyager came out, it kind of was the only game in town. Now a lot of people are probably looking at the MophoKeys and figuring out they don't really need to spend all that money on a Voyager. Not that they sound similar, but is the difference worth 2-3 grand? Especially considering a lot of people are not all that excited about the Voyager sound.

I don't know if the MiniBrute is affecting Moog sales at all, as it's a different type of beast.

Also, software like Diva might be the biggest reason for people not to buy a Voyager anymore. I've heard people say Diva sounds more like a Model D than a Voyager does...

I wonder how much longer the regular Voyager is going to last. They gotta be thinking about replacing it with a more aggressive sounding synth.

• Members

Not excited about the Voyager sound? Wow. I suppose. I guess people sell them. To me it is like a dream... ah so nice... but yeah so darned expensive. I have to admit I have thought about how many modules I could get in its place, but then they wouldn't be a Moog... weird psychological effect I guess.

It is just the select series that is being discontinued. Maybe Moog decided that allowing customization to some degree is too costly. This makes sense in terms of supply chain and inventory management. They will be able to reduce the number of components and materials that they need to keep in stock. OTOH, when I bought my Voyager Select, it was "pick one that is available" rather than "order the exact model I want and wait." As luck would have it I wanted a more traditional-looking model (Walnut with "Lunar" backlight) and there was one available at the time.

I wonder what will come next from Moog?

• Members

u beet me to it, derp

Voog Moyager series in gregwar v's Gribs post shootout... who vil vin... ;-)

I guess these things are pricey to handle as bespoke orders so they just need to focus efforts on other stuff if demand is too low to offer such Customisations...

• Members

It was a great way to play up the premium nature of the synth at a time when Moog was betting the farm on resurrecting the most iconic synthesizer ever. Each new select edition was a marketing opportunity to produce drool-worthy pictures for synth geeks to lust over.

But now, they have a wider product line and don't need the extravagant custom stuff to sustain them.

• Members

I have a Moog Voyager Fire and its probably one of the most beautiful synths out there.

55870_l.jpg

I don't think the sound of these machines is as good as the old Mini (I have a nice 1972 model) but it does have its own place. I spent a few weeks transferring my favourite mini patches across.. basses, leads, even sounds from my ARP Pro Soloist and it was pretty close in aural terms but something about the playability was missing...

However, for going beyond the usual Mini sounds the Voyager comes into its own... some real nice modular stuff can be had... and its nice to have 3 OSCs and a separate LFO section.

• Members

i did always want a white-out vger, just to match my modular case. shame.

something about the V'ger never really excited me, it has lots of modular features but isn't a modular, it's 4-5x more complex than a standard monosynth so patch creation takes a bit, and the sound never really generated good similes in my brain brain. i always think of the adjectives "dry", "spongy" and "rich" for the v'ger. the mini i've always thought of as more "dense", "snappy" and "focused".

it's a very powerful synth no doubt, and i would love to have one for the sound design possibilities alone. i just don't think i could ever justify the cost of one.

• Members

They probably haven't been selling a lot of them.

When the Voyager came out, it kind of was the only game in town. Now a lot of people are probably looking at the MophoKeys and figuring out they don't really need to spend all that money on a Voyager. Not that they sound similar, but is the difference worth 2-3 grand? Especially considering a lot of people are not all that excited about the Voyager sound.

I don't know if the MiniBrute is affecting Moog sales at all, as it's a different type of beast.

Also, software like Diva might be the biggest reason for people not to buy a Voyager anymore. I've heard people say Diva sounds more like a Model D than a Voyager does...

I wonder how much longer the regular Voyager is going to last. They gotta be thinking about replacing it with a more aggressive sounding synth.

The Voyager Performer Edition has been made for more than 10 years now. I bet they keep making it.

I have read the "it's not aggressive enough" complaints here and on a couple of other forums. I don't have that complaint, but that's personal taste. I've been subjected to GAS as much as anyone here and have been tempted from time to time to sell the Voyager to finance a modular, or some other flavor of the month, but every time I switch the Voyager on and start messing with it, the sound persuades me to keep it.

My heartfelt thanks to the "not-excited" person who sold me my Voyager.

• Members

I know it would take some R&D to reconfigure, but I wonder if they could sell them in a 1U rack mount with VST/AU software kind of like Virus TI? All you'd need is an LCD, a few buttons & a power switch (and of course the inputs/outputs). I might be interested if the price was right. The only problem with that idea is obsolescence. As long as everything was controllable via MIDI it might be viable. Although I'm well aware the beauty of this thing is mostly in the real-time controls.

• Members

They're just too espensive during these times. A finely crafted instrument that I personally believe has way too many menus for a monosynth, but still, a fine instrument.

I'm sure the Slimphatty sales are through the roof. The trend seems to be to get a Mopho keyboard, which has a much better keybed, and add a Slimphatty.

I'm still hoping they bring back the Voyager OS with USB. :)

Archived