1x12 or 2x12 cab for home practice?

jas_kidd32

• Members

I have an EarCandy 1 x 12 open-back cabinet, with a Celestion G12H30.

It sounds great, REAL bass, and LOUD,LOUD,LOUD.

A 1 x 12 cab is cheaper and lighter than a 2 X 12.

As a practice cab, a 1 x 12 has enough punch for ME.

Whether, it's enough for YOU, is the question?

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Steve

• Members

For the XXL get a 1x12, it's a solid-state so you want to get your tone from driving the speaker a little bit. A 2x12 would be way louder before it would sound good.

(IMO speakers in hard rock/metal sound best just before they start distorting, when you get the cone to really move around but not distort).

• Members
For the XXL get a 1x12, it's a solid-state so you want to get your tone from driving the speaker a little bit. A 2x12 would be way louder before it would sound good.

I disagree. Just because two 12" speakers are being used that doesn't mean the amp has to work harder to drive them. A 2x12 will sound better than a 1x12 because it is, indeed, pushing more air. The signal from the amp to the 2x12 speakers is still dispersed the same as a 1x12. Both configurations will be driven the same. It might seem louder but it's not. Connect a 12" 20 watt practice amp to a 2x12 cab and you WILL notice a better tone. The XXL is what, 120watts? Definitely overkill for a bedroom amp. But a 2x12 cab will give you a better overall tone, regardless of whether in the bedroom or on stage.

Archived