Tony MacAlpine amp settings? Rockman users inside =>

sahlomonic

• Members

I don't know for certain, but Tony MacAlpine's "Maximum Security" album sounds like he's using Rockman equipment. Is he just plugging an X100 in the power amp of a Marshall or how is he getting that sound? Joe Satriani's "Not Of This Earth" album sounds similar, too. I have a Rockman X100, and the Distortion Generator on the way. What's the best way to set those up? I've tried the X100 going into the power amp section of my Peavey XXL, but sounds thin and weak, plus no output control on the power amp other than switchable wattage (100, 50, 25). X100 going straight to the input and clean section of the XXL does sound better.

• Members

Tony was using a Peavey solid state amp head for that sound and yes Indeed.... it did sound just like a rockman because those amps cut at 800hz in the mids (The freequency that gives you the rockman sound) If you want something similar sounding then you should get a poweramp to use with your distortion generator so that you can control the volume. Sending a signal to another amp via the effects return only works if the effects loop has a level control on it, otherwise you can't control the volume that well, and it can be loud as hell. If you don't have a level control on your amp,A trick that you can do to control the volume is to send the rockmans signal to an effects device that has a level mix and then to the return of your amp. You can control the volume with the effects level control. If you don't have an effects box with a level control or you don't have money for a poweramp, your best bet is to the rockmans signal to the front end of your amp and mess around with the controls.

Another option would be to buy a used rockman head or you could get yourself a used Fender ultimate chorus amp. The fender sounds just like a rockman.

I hope this helps.

• Members

satch used a rockman sustainor preamp(also has compression) on surfing with the alien.. i have two of them and just run one in the front of whatever amp im using the second is a backup, i love the sound i truly identify with it, but its not something i do fulltime for some reason.

• Members

On George Lynch's "Will Play For Food" album, the song Tears of Sahara is on it (He shared the solo w/Tony on a couple songs from Maximum Security), and the footnotes in the CD jacket says he used a Rockman, but not a specific model.

• Members

He used Pevey Classic amps on Edge of Insanity, there`s a possibility that was what he used on MS as well?

Yup. I have every guitar mag from 1982-1992 and Tony said he used the peaveys on MS and Edge of insanity. They sound just like a rockman because of the 800hz freequencies.

• Members

Yup. I have every guitar mag from 1982-1992 and Tony said he used the peaveys on MS and Edge of insanity. They sound just like a rockman because of the 800hz freequencies.

I seem to remember he had Macintosh cabinets as well?

• Members

fun fact: Vinnie Moore used T-macs amp on "Mind's Eye " (teh peavey)

tony used Peavey on Maximum + some funky B.C.Rich superstrat

did he use any OD with those peaveys? he had some reaaaaaly smooth tones on Maximum.

(speaking of Macintosh knut, I think he used *something* mac's on Edge of Insanity? well, there's some macs inside the LP cover on that album..don't remember if it was cabs or heads)

• Members

Didn't the Peavey Classics come out in the early 90's? Maximum Security and Edge of Insanity were mid-late 80's albums. I just want to know what amp specifically to look for to get his tone from that era
:thu:

there were Peavey classics back in the 80s, but they were hybrids.

SS preamp and Tube Poweramp. :)

• Members

fun fact: Vinnie Moore used T-macs amp on "Mind's Eye " (teh peavey)

tony used Peavey on Maximum + some funky B.C.Rich superstrat

did he use any OD with those peaveys? he had some reaaaaaly smooth tones on Maximum.

(speaking of Macintosh knut, I think he used *something* mac's on Edge of Insanity? well, there's some macs inside the LP cover on that album..don't remember if it was cabs or heads)

From memory only: I believe it was Mac-cabs. Because there were PV Classic heads on top of them. Two full stacks, and a white Kramer superstrat with two buckers and a FLoyd :)

Archived