Thin Lizzy Live Report

JohnRageOn

• Members

Well I went to check them out last night at their gig in Athens.

They played at a fairly small venue (capacity 1200 - 1300 persons max) and it was sold out.

The set list was ok. It was exactly as in their last live CD with the addition of Chinatown, Massacre and Emerald songs.

The sound was pretty crappy. To my amazement John Sykes used an ENGL Powerball and a Plexi and Scott a Plexi and an 2203. The ENGL sounded like {censored} very trebly and fizzy and Scott was having a chorus engaged most of the time so his sound was very odd too. Not the typical Lizzy raw sound that we were used to.

On the other hand, the performance was great. John ripped it off and sang well too. He didn't try to imitate Phil but managed to capture the vibe.

The one thing I cannot understand is why this band is called Thin Lizzy and not John Sykes ft. Scott Gorham instead. It would be more sincere. I'm a huge fan of John but he was only on the 'Thunder and Lighting' record and Scott was not from the very beginning either. The others were Marco Mendoza and Tommy Aldridge (played a fantastic drum solo as usual). If you haven't seen them go check em out. If you've already seen them share your thoughts. Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit but it was a snatch.

Even Sabbath renamed themselves to Heaven And Hell in order to tour with Dio and consider that Tony and Geezer are from the original lineup.

• Members

I caught the show here in the UK, about a year ago lol. Sykes was awesome, and it was all old Marshalls on the stage. I really enjoyed it especially the tone that evening
:eek:

That's what I've heard too but I was dissapointed with the addition of Powerball.

• Members

The ENGL sounded like {censored} .

I was thinking tone is in the fingers :D

I like the lineup and I don't have a problem that they are using the name for it, as long as Phil is "present". The do bring Lizzy to a lot of younger folks, thats cool in my book.

• Members

That's what I've heard too but I was dissapointed with the addition of Powerball.

Money perhaps?

I've seen them several times with John using his 2 800s and a cab which was 1/2 glued with Gaffa. Monstrous sound, even when the roadie checked the sound before the concert with 2/3 chords.

• Members

Money perhaps?

I've seen them several times with John using his 2 800s and a cab which was 1/2 glued with Gaffa. Monstrous sound, even when the roadie checked the sound before the concert with 2/3 chords.

He had some Jose Arredondo modified Marshalls in the past. Perhaps they were those. Sykes is a very good player and tone is indeed in the fingers but the cake had no icing this time! :D :D :D

Honestly I don't believe he has financial problems. He must be still earning a lot from Whitesnake's 1987 Ascap accounts.

• Members

How good was Massacre though, seriously one of my fave lizzy songs

Pretty good, it surprised me too. They played it as fast as Iron Maiden played it on the 'Can I play with madness' B Side. The adrenaline I guess.

• Members

That could be a reason but only Iommi owns the name.

Iommi used to own the name. That was the big sticking point between Ozzy & the rest of the Sabb's reuniting. Tony sold the name (or at least part of) to Ozzy & Sharon and they reuinted for the Ozzfest tours.

Now that's over and in order to use the name "Black Sabbath" they have to have premission, and Sharon (Ozzy) won't give Tony permission to use it unless Ozzy is in the band.

• Members

Iommi used to own the name. That was the big sticking point between Ozzy & the rest of the Sabb's reuniting. Tony sold the name (or at least part of) to Ozzy & Sharon and they reuinted for the Ozzfest tours.

Now that's over and in order to use the name "Black Sabbath" they have to have premission, and Sharon (Ozzy) won't give Tony permission to use it unless Ozzy is in the band.

OMFG :eek: :eek: :eek:

I guess Sharon is Satan reincarnated.

• Members

I'm not sure on the reasoning behindthe sabbath name change but I think it works better if they are planning on doing more tours with ozzy. I seperates them more, so you not what band is what.

Archived