new Mesa poweramps problem?

JMP2203

• Members

from mesa:

POWER IN MONO

-All Mesa Boogie power amps can be used in mono by connecting the input and speaker to one side only. The input of the side not in use cannot be connected or damage may follow.

As with any tube amp, a load of some sort must be implemented if there is an input signal connected to the amp. Always make sure to connect the speaker to the appropriate side receiving the input signal.

As an extra precaution, the volume of the side not in use should be turned all the way and the Presence control turned all the way up. The 20/20, like all Boogie power amps, is not bridgeable, but can be safely used in mono if the above-mentioned conditions are followed.

We suggest alternating sides used in mono to provide even tube wear from Side A to Side B.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had a 2:90, and I ran it in Mono with my Triaxis into a single 4x12, just switching the channels occasionally to cut down on tube wear. I ran it according to Mesa's manual: Volume off on the side not used, and Presence up. I ran it that way for two years, and never encountered an issue.

I think the point you are all missing is this : If there isn't anything plugged into the input, then the procedure of Volume Down, Presence Up is correct. If you have something plugged into the input, driving a signal, then you need a load resistor. Why would you plug something into the input with no cab on the output? Beats me. But that's the way it was explained to me, and that's the way it worked for me for years.

• Members

Anyway, am I the only one who thinks that it is totally stupid that there aren't separate standbys?

It doesn't matter if the volume to zero trick works, I mean how hard is it to put separate standbys in? It's just easier and less frustrating IMO.

Because a lot of people really only use one channel and it is much more convenient and reassuring if you have a standby on each channel, plus a little light to know what's the status...

+1

• Members

I had a 2:90, and I ran it in Mono with my Triaxis into a single 4x12, just switching the channels occasionally to cut down on tube wear. I ran it according to Mesa's manual: Volume off on the side not used, and Presence up. I ran it that way for two years, and never encountered an issue.

I think the point you are all missing is this : If there isn't anything plugged into the input, then the procedure of Volume Down, Presence Up is correct. If you have something plugged into the input, driving a signal, then you need a load resistor. Why would you plug something into the input with no cab on the output? Beats me. But that's the way it was explained to me, and that's the way it worked for me for years.

ok i undestan now, but what happend if you take off the tubes of the not used channel?, why you gona want to waste and weak the tubes that your not using?

• Members
Anyway, am I the only one who thinks that it is totally stupid that there aren't separate standbys?

It doesn't matter if the volume to zero trick works, I mean how hard is it to put separate standbys in? It's just easier and less frustrating IMO.

Because a lot of people really only use one channel and it is much more convenient and reassuring if you have a standby on each channel, plus a little light to know what's the status...

i agree, that's why i dig the layout of the marshall poweramps.
my guitarist has a 9200 and besides sounding great, it has a great layout of controls :thu:

• Members
i agree, that's why i dig the layout of the marshall poweramps.

my guitarist has a 9200 and besides sounding great, it has a great layout of controls
:thu:

i just check the Marshall and EVEN have separates power for each channel.

very cool :thu:

• Members

What you don't seem to understand is that there are people in this world who lack basic reading comprehension skills, fall short in logical thinking, make rash conclusions, and enjoy calling other people dumbasses.

Makes intelligent conversations a bit tricky.

Archived