new Mesa poweramps problem?

JMP2203

• Members
From 2:100 manual page 2:

"NOTE: Remember to turn the LEVEL Control to zero on any channel not connected to a speaker or load resistor! A Load must be present at all times when either channel's LEVEL Control is dialed to anthing OTHER than zero..."

:wave:

Uh...can you not read what I just posted, verbatim out of the 2:100 manual?

WARNING: Always make certain proper load is connected before operating the amplifier

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

looks like mesa has conflicting advice in its manuals

one part says must have a load on each amp
another says it is okay to not have a load if you turn volume down

:confused:

FWIW - I know the Diezel einstein can be run without any load, you just turn the master vol to zero and can then connect the preamp out to a different power amp. Olaf did explain why this was possible to me at the time, but I am afraid I did not understand fully!

• Members

What happens if someone yanks your speaker cord without you knowing?

How long would it actually take to ruin the output transformer? You'd obviously have the advantage of knowing as your sound would stop, but people shouldn't be messing with your amp either way...

• Members

Uh...can you not read what I just posted, verbatim out of the 2:100 manual?

WARNING: Always make certain proper load is connected before operating the amplifier

I think that its implied (or at least that's how I read it) that a proper load is necessary when the leve or volume is set anywhere but zero. It seems like we're all posting verbatim quotes here.

In any event, this is all a bit confusing, and better that anyone who runs the preamp/poweramp deal with a stereo amp uses two cabs, or at the very least, a cab that can be split.

• Members

What happens if someone yanks your speaker cord without you knowing?

How long would it actually take to ruin the output transformer? You'd obviously have the advantage of knowing as your sound would stop, but people shouldn't be messing with your amp either way...

Probably not very long. And yes, you'll probably know right away, wherein if you're only running one channel, and somehow that volume knob gets moved, you may not know until the damn thing blows up.

Not exactly what I'd call a "best practice".

• Members

Why "trolls?" You are ASSUMING that the volume/level knob will be moved, thus damage will likely result.

I think you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

The truth is, and I think you can agree, is that if the VOLUME/LEVEL is at ZERO, no damage will occur to the transformer that is not seeing a load.

Anyway, this is all getting a bit silly. Everyone is right in their own thinking.

this is the bit i wanted to know

putting aside external factors like dials being moved etc, would the damage occur if the vol is at zero and no load connected?

• Members

Who's the {censored}ing dumbass now? That would be all the guys who said just turn down the volume knob.

Ah....that FEELS REAL GOOD TO SAY THAT!!!!

Who has talked about someone being a dumbass? I seems to work with 20/20, 50/50 and 2:90 so...

• Members

Anyway, am I the only one who thinks that it is totally stupid that there aren't separate standbys?

It doesn't matter if the volume to zero trick works, I mean how hard is it to put separate standbys in? It's just easier and less frustrating IMO.

Because a lot of people really only use one channel and it is much more convenient and reassuring if you have a standby on each channel, plus a little light to know what's the status...

• Members

Volume all the way down, presence all the way up, and no input into the channel not being used.

Have done it with loads of Mesa power amps. No problems.

The underlined part is the important bit, the volume and presence settings are extra-precautions only. Which is why worrying about someone 'messing' with your volume control isn't necessary.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/What_s_New_/Amplitudes/Tone_Tips/tone_tips.html#MONO

• Members

Volume all the way down, presence all the way up, and
no input into the channel not being used

Have done it with loads of Mesa power amps. No problems.

The underlined part is the important bit, the volume and presence settings are
extra-precautions only
. Which is why worrying about someone 'messing' with your volume control isn't necessary.

What is point of having a bad-ass stereo power amp and running it mono?

Sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

I think just getting another cab is real solution.

• Members

Well, yes, but then we wouldn't be here arguing about it!!!!

:mad:

:)

• Members

Yes, but the original poster wanted to know if it's possible to use them in mono.

What preamp do you use with your 2:100, if I may ask?

• Members

Stereo on stage.

Mono jamming in the garage where you don't NEED 180watts, or maybe you don't wanna carry two cabs.

Better to have the option and not need it, that to need it and not have it.

• Members

I know some people just like separate preamp/poweramp setups, but don't want to run stereo. And the huge majority of poweramps are stereo.

• Members

Ya, mono power amps seem conspicuously rare :confused:

Marshall makes a "dual mono block" which is basically two completely seperate power amps in one unit. You can use both together in stereo or just one side. Each side has it's own power and standby. But other than that it seems like almost everything is meant to run in stereo.

• Members

I always run my Strategy 500 with the left side on standby with the presence at 10 and volume 0. Mesa said it's fine to do that.

Yup. this is the gospel according to Mesa. Call them and ask.

I agree, separate standby and even power switches would be cool. I think VHTs have separate standbys, but one master power.

Archived