Marshall V/M or VHT Deliverance

keith2112

• Members

These amps are similar in some ways. Right now I'd have to say I would have to go for the VHT. The Vintage Modern hasn't been out as long. How is it? Is it a no brainer? Do you just have to really open up the Marshall?

• Members

What power tubes are in each amp? both have a toggle (vht) push botten (marshall) which allows you to use 3 or 4 pre amp tubes. The VHT has the thin or thick gain voicing; the Marshall has the detail and body. You two may not think that makes them similar but I sure do. The tone of the VHT on "less" gain actually comes closer to a JCM800 than any marshall out there to me. The Marshall has a much beter cabinet with much beter speakers in it.

• Members

What power tubes are in each amp? both have a toggle (vht) push botten (marshall) which allows you to use 3 or 4 pre amp tubes. The VHT has the thin or thick gain voicing; the Marshall has the detail and body. You two may not think that makes them similar but I sure do. The tone of the VHT on "less" gain actually comes closer to a JCM800 than any marshall out there to me. The Marshall has a much beter cabinet with much beter speakers in it.

i don't know much about the VM. i know about the deliverance. the 60 has two KT88's, and the 120 has four.

your description of the preamp selection is incorrect. it's 3 or 4 gain stages, and one gain stage is made up of only 1/2 of a preamp tube.

there are similarities in the controls, but the tones are not similar...at least not to me. furthermore, if you already know what the deliverance sounds like, why not go play a VM and figure out which one you like better instead of asking a bunch of anonymous people on teh interwebz?

lastly, i cringe at the thought of a marshall cabinet being better than a VHT cabinet...the speakers are debatable. i don't even know which speakers come in the VM cabinet. i know that steve fryette has designed the deliverance to sound it's best (to him) through the deliverance cab. considering what his ear for tone has generated amp wise, i'll trust him on cabinets and speakers.

• Members

Better cabs? Doesnt Marshall use particle board backs these days?

• Members

The speakers in the Marshall are the 25 watt celestions that came in the Jimmie Hendrix Marshall reissue amp which came out a year or so ago. The VM has Kt88s as well. I do believe the more or less toggle does engade an extra pre amp tube thus pushing an extra gain stage?????? The VHT sounds way, way beter on the "less" than the VM does. I think it will come down to wether or not I want to stick with the Marshall voicing. I have a JCM800. The VHT has a unique tone all its own going. that is for sure. The VM to me is the beter of the two new Marshalls to just come out.

Archived