CV Connections

veracohr

• Members

If you see a CV connection on a synth with DCOs, it's probably safe to assume that CV is digitized, right? It doesn't directly control the oscillator pitch?

I'm making a MIDI-CV/Gate converter for a class project, and I wanted to connect it to a VCO synth for demonstration, but the only one I have is the x0xb0x, and I learned the CV connection on that is an output, not an input. I have a BassStation Rack that can take in CV/Gate, but it has DCOs, so I wouldn't be able to say the CV from my project is directly controlling the pitch.

• Members

I'm not sure how someone could look at your project, hear the pitch being controlled by your CV thingy, and then deny that it's changing the pitch??

I mean, if you really want to get down to it, a true VCO isn't controlled by voltage anyway, it's controlled by an exponential current that is converted from the linear input voltage.  So VCOs aren't really directly controlled by voltage anyway.

It doesn't matter what the receiving device does with your CV signal, so long as your signal conforms to what the device wants, you're in business.

• Members

I am not sure what you mean either.

A DCO is an analog Oscillator under digital control - so there is no reason why a Control Voltage would change under those circumstances.

Why would you make that assumption - you can get totally digital waveform modules for Modular devices and still control them via CV also so I am a bit stumped or confused as to what you are saying ?

• Members

Well you're right, it doesn't really matter as long as I get the expected result, I just meant that it seems sort of silly to convert digital MIDI to an analog control voltage if it's just going to be converted back to digital again before it actually affects the oscillator. Even if it works. I guess just for my own satisfaction I'd prefer to see my project go to its intended purpose (controlling a VCO).

Archived