Is korg too cool to now be refereed to as one of the big three anymore?

MuzikB

• Members

In a small discussion I was thinking that it's great that Korg listens to the masses of musicians and that there seem to be true musicians at the heart and head of their business.  

Do they have too much heart to actually be considered to be a corporation?  

Your thoughts?

• Members

My understanding is they are not that big. In the world of synths they appear significant but they are smaller compared to the other two you allude to if you include other products...

All small companies will be challenged by making physical things, so they need to buy in more stuff whilst a larger company will have more in house capability...

Regardless of size, they can all get it right or mess up equally well.. Anything said beyond that will expose more a persons personal preference and needs rather than any material facts...

BTW I recently saw the annual reports for one of the others and it makes grim reading, in some countries they would be out of business by now.... All the loss of that company was in it's music division. Sounds like a high overheads issue although it would be interesting to know which parts of the music product lines are worse if any... If they went under it would help other companies as their market share would increase, that's assuming the other companies make what people will want....

• Members

I

Bernard wrote:

My understanding is they are not that big. In the world of synths they appear significant but they are smaller compared to the other two you allude to if you include other products...

All small companies will be challenged by making physical things, so they need to buy in more stuff whilst a larger company will have more in house capability...

Regardless of size, they can all get it right or mess up equally well.. Anything said beyond that will expose more a persons personal preference and needs rather than any material facts...

BTW I recently saw the annual reports for one of the others and it makes grim reading, in some countries they would be out of business by now.... All the loss of that company was in it's music division. Sounds like a high overheads issue although it would be interesting to know which parts of the music product lines are worse if any... If they went under it would help other companies as their market share would increase, that's assuming the other companies make what people will want....

In my Ethics class, we were discussing the evil of corporations.  Particularly, their overriding interest to please their shareholders and not so much their customers.

It just appears to me (perhaps my bias :-) ) that Korg seems to be doing the opposite especially with the release of the Korg Mini MS20.   Giving the people what they want provided it is feasibly within the resources of the company.  

• Members

I remember reading Roland's report a while ago which was far from good. Once you're confronted with bad results you have to look for ways to bring down overheads, prune, and eliminate the problem areas.

In Roland's case it might mean they decide to focus on for example V-drums, and slim down the investments in the keyboards dept.

However, a smart company ALSO looks beyond the numbers and analyses WHY a certain product did not sell well so that you prune wisely without damaging the organism.

When it comes to KORG I see a very (inter-)active company which is able to come up with interesting musical products people buy, products distributed across a very wide price range. They have a smart and healthy business strategy, they're in touch with what musicians want, quick to respond, and although not perfect the company is very much alive and doing well. 

I cannot say the same for either Yamaha or Roland. They seem sluggish, although Roland looks as if the company is shaping up a bit. I'd hate to see any company go down, especially companies with a long track record like any of the three. 

Yamaha turned out to be the biggest disappointment this NAMM. I had expected a whole lot more for a 125th birthday, at least when it comes to the keys dept.

Maybe this will change at Frankfurt, but for now the award for healthiest company goes to KORG.

• Members

It's cool that Korg released the MS-20 Mini, but it's not really a risky business move. It's established as a popular synth, there was essentially no design investment aside from adding MIDI and USB. It's not like they had an existential crisis and decided to abandon the last 20 years of digital synths for a new era of new analog. Give 'em kudos, but not too many kudos.

• Members

veracohr wrote:

It's cool that Korg released the MS-20 Mini, but it's not really a risky business move. It's established as a popular synth, there was essentially no design investment aside from adding MIDI and USB. It's not like they had an existential crisis and decided to abandon the last 20 years of digital synths for a new era of new analog. Give 'em kudos, but not too many kudos.

The kudos are for listening to what customers wanted.  Not for innovcation.  

I would dare say that tousands wanted an MS20 and Korg finally delivered.  The last time I seen that happen was with Dave Smith's Prophet 08.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived