How to test fan on Marshall powerbrake PB100

Slashrules

• Members

Hi, all. Hope this is the right forum for this.

A while back I bought a Marshall powebrake/PB100 amp attenuator. I found (as I'm sure many of you know) that the Fender Deville 212 (my amp) doesn't sound particularly good cranked, and so I decided to sell the attenuator on ebay.

A potential buyer asked if the fan worked. I didn't even know it had a fan 'til he/she mentioned it, and promised I would test it. The advice this person gave me was to get the attenuator's knob at or past the 12:00 position, and turn the amp up enough to get some volume, and strum away. I should feel the PB100 get warm, and the fan kick in. I screwed around for a good ten minutes, and felt nothing.

Now, I can't turn my amp up all the way 'cause it's ridiculously loud, even with the atteuator on halfway, so I had it (the amp's volume) on all of 2. The other thing I tried is turning the attenuator on it's lowest (least attenuation) setting, and cranking my amp, at which volume I can stand it. So I played like that for a while, still felt nothing on the PB100, neither heat nor a fan.

Is there a definitive way to test it and make sure the fan works? What am I feeling for? Is it a fan you can actually hear, or feel? The unit has to be real close to my amp 'cause of the short length of the cable coming out of my amp that plugs into the PB100's input, so the heat coming off the back of my amp might make the PB100 feel warmer. Anyway, any advice or help. . .thanks.

• Members

I fixed a buddies once there is a diode that died ..it happened twice

very easy fix but yeah crank the amp and keep it at the highest attenuation (besides load box) so sound is still coming thru ....the fan should start pretty quickly

• Members

When the fan is on, can you feel it vibrating. . .I mean, if I put my hand on the PB100 (while strumming the guitar), is that vibration I feel the fan?

You can see it through the grille, hear it buzz and feel the air being sucked in.

Giga.

• Members

So if I have the PB100 on the setting with the most attenuation (I said least in my first post, I was backwards), and crank the amp volume to the max, that should be enough to kick the fan on as soon as I start playing? Then that's not good. . .I couldn't feel anything except vibration on the PB100, which could have just been transferred from the amp which was less than a foot away. I'll try again. Thanks.

Archived