matching replacement speakers

Alex 4.0

• Members

I have a traynor YCV80, and it currently has a pair of celestion 70/80's in it. I have been a little disappointed with its flabbiness, and am looking into a couple of speakers to make it a little tighter.

This is the first time I have replaced speakers in an amp like this so I was just curious if there is any rules on matching speakers... RMS handling and peak ratings???

I was looking at these in particular. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Eminence-Patriot-Screamin-Eagle-12-Guitar-Speaker?sku=660032

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Eminence-Patriot-Black-Powder-12-Guitar-Speaker?sku=660035

• Members

You just need to get speakers that have a combined power handling of 80Watts or higher. So the speakers need to be rated at 40Watts or higher.

Do a search on ebay for warehouse guitar speakers, I would get some Classic Lead 80 clones. They have a nice tight bass response and don't color the sound that much.

I have never been a big fan of Eminence speakers. The 1st link didn't work. The 2nd shows some black powder eminence speakers, those are rated at 75Watts and should work fine.

• Members

well I looked on ebay and found nothing warehouse guitar speakers.... **EDIT... FOUND UM

the first link is for

Eminence Patriot Screamin' Eagle 12" Guitar Speaker Specifications:

* 50W RMS handling,

* 8 or 16 ohm impedance

If I were to get one of each, would that be OK, or do I have to get them both the same speaker? I was hoping to get different characteristics from each to make an uber sound.

• Members

well I looked on ebay and found nothing warehouse guitar speakers.... **EDIT... FOUND UM

the first link is for

Eminence Patriot Screamin' Eagle 12" Guitar Speaker Specifications:

* 50W RMS handling,

* 8 or 16 ohm impedance

If I were to get one of each, would that be OK, or do I have to get them both the same speaker? I was hoping to get different characteristics from each to make an uber sound.

You can get one of each no problem. Total power handling of the pair will be twice the lower Wattage, so in the case of the 2 eminence speakers you posted, the pair will be able to handle 100Watts, which is fine for your traynor.

I am not sure what impedance of speaker you need though. Just check the manual or look what the stock speakers are.

Those Warehouse guitar speakers have been getting some great reviews, personally I would give those a shot. For about $75 shipped for the pair, its hard to go wrong. I do find Celestion CL80's sound good with a large variety of amps.

• Members

ahhhhh i knew there was something with the wiring parallel made the total change.... allright. Thanks a ton blackba. I am really considering the classic 80, the only thing is the 70/80's I have in there and they are supposed to be a modified lead 80. and they flab out

• Members

I haven't mixed a CL80 and a V30 in a 212 cab, but I do often run 2 112's cabs together. One has a V30 and the Other a mesa MC90 (similar to a CL80).

The V30 will give you a mid hump, more grit to the sound. Nice for higher distortion, clean will suffer a bit. MC90/CL80 is a more transparent speakers, clearer, more bass than the V30, nice clean tone.

They mix very well....

• 13 years later...
  • Members

How did you make out w the swap? I'm looking to replace my 2x12s also, I don't want to hinder the clean much, but both channels are always really ear piercing up high, I regularly turn the treble down to 1 or two when recording, and the bass down to like 2 or 3, so looking for some more sweet mids, myself

Archived