VSTi host for live use?

Pr3Va1L

• Members

Alright,

I'd like to find a simple VST host that can do the following:

- Split the MIDI signal from my keyboard (split/layer)

- Control the MIDI outputs (2) on my keyboard so that I can use EXTERNAL synths as well as VSTi, perhaps with the KB split between a vsti and the synth.

- Change sounds seamlessly via patch change messages. (on the VSTs and on the synth) so I can program songs and such.

Is there anything that can do that? I've been using Brainspawn Forte and it does EVERYTHING I need but controlling the MIDI outs..

Something similar to that, or even a VSTi I could run from it that would send notes/CC to the MIDI out would be great.

Thanks a lot! :wave:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have tryed a bunch of those kind of softwares, and I have narrowed my needs to this:

*Support VST switching via patches

*Trigger external MIDI patch changes (with the program's patch change)

Is there ANYTHING that can do this?

I can't seem to find it!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

THis is an old thread but I'm having the same issue. I downloaded Forte but I can't even get it to scale wide enough so I can see all of Kontakt in the screen. It clips off half of the display and there's no ability to rescale it???

I used V-Stack for a while but it crackles and pops with any sort of load whatsoever, while the same instruments in standalone mode or in PT LE on the same computer with the same buffer setting work flawlessly.

Any further developments? Anything stable, easy, and efficient? Or just how $$%$ do I resize the Forte screen so I can at least test the damn thing to see if it works?

• Members

Live Professor - that's what I use.

http://ifoundasound.com/liveprofessor/

It does what it says on the tin - its completely live, no sequencer or audio recorder. For me it's the cleanest looking VST host, ideal for turning your laptop into a synth module.

OK, I installed that and gave it a whirl... you're right, it looks clean and good- but it crashed for me before I even got it to make a sound, and every time I tried to run it after that it crashes before it even loads. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and now it STILL crashes before it even loads... I don't even get how that is possible. :confused:

I would be willing to pay for something if it worked... hell, I paid for V-Stack and it ended up sucking. There has to be something out there...

• Members

I'm sorry to hear it doesn't work on your puter. On mine it's very stable and useable. Welcome to software headache :facepalm: That's exactly why I approach software in this minimalistic way - take a quick dive, get one or two programs that work and are useful for my music and ruuuun before any problems appear, because they always appear if you mess with software too much. ;)

Building a setup around a computer DAW is a big no no for me. What works better is to use the best of software as the peripherals, independent modules like racks. It's been far more reliable for me.

• Members

McAffee didn't like the liveprofessor:

ifoundasound.com/liveprofessor may cause a breach of browser security.

Why were you redirected to this page?

When we tested ifoundasound.com/liveprofessor, it attempted to make unauthorized changes to our test computer by exploiting a browser security vulnerability. This is a serious security threat which could lead to an infection of your computer.

• Members

I'm sorry to hear it doesn't work on your puter. On mine it's very stable and useable. Welcome to software headache
:facepalm:
That's exactly why I approach software in this minimalistic way - take a quick dive, get one or two programs that work and are useful for my music and ruuuun before any problems appear, because they always appear if you mess with software too much.
;)

Building a setup around a computer DAW is a big no no for me. What works better is to use the best of software as the peripherals, independent modules like racks. It's been far more reliable for me.

I hear you man, no apology needed. If it's not one thing it's gonna be another. After I tried that software I went through another two hours of installing stuff and having it fail for me.

BUT

I finally found something that works for me... I'm running Reaper. It's a full blown DAW and overkill for what I need, but it works! And it works so well that I think I will eventually spend some time getting familiar with it beyond what I did so far, which is to figure out how to set up multiple outputs and get a bunch of VSTi's running at once. It's using all 4 of my cores, it's stable, it's powerful and it makes a lot of sense. It's got a familiar layout since it's basically a DAW. It was a lighweight download and install too. I'm glad I heard people talking about it on Anderton's forum because otherwise I would never have thought of it.

• Members

My next post would've just suggest to use Reaper. It has JS effects which can do all your MIDI filtering needs.

Good choice! :thu:

Join the Reaper forum as it's the most pleasant place on Internet, with a lot of helpful people with good advices. Download the User Guide and start cracking!

Oh, and updates are VERY often, and most of the time very comprehensive as well! :thu:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

You may want to give Live Professor another look. There have been several new releases since Jan that may have resolved your issues. I use it extensively live without any problems. The developer is incredibly responsive to bug fixes and feature requests. Check the new forums to see whats happening.

• Members

newest live professor crashes trying to look at my 300+ VSTis in my VST folder. not sure why. i hope to test it more soon. but just throwing that out there. not against it on any level, just relating my experience.

My other live hosts have no problems with my vst folder

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

For live use check out the new bloxpander - an ASIO host for vsti plugins

http://www.eareckon.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=54?=en

It's designed from the ground up with performers needs in mind. It has a really simple intuitive workflow with screenshots of all the plugins in use in the main graphical interface....

There are 24 channels each with 6 inserts, plus for aux busses and 1 master bus

You can set up scenes, which can be a snapshot of a songs settings for example, which can then be saved as a preset and recalled at the touch of a button....You can save a number of these scenes as a 'set' which again can be saved in a bank and instantly recalled..

You can arrange your vst effects and vsti's in bespoke banks which again can be recalled at the touch of a button

It also has advanced support for external controllers and can use the Mackie Control....You can also use multiple MIDI interfaces.

All this is just scratching the surface.....I was fortunate enough to beta test and in my opinion it is absolutely fantastic for live perfomance....I highly recommend trying the demo.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I've been trying out with Live Professor also, and sadly enough it doesn't do the job for me.

- to many crashes or settings that lock at restart (f.e. when the asio soundcard isn't found it hangs and resets all the parameters)

- it resets my controller maps or doesn't want to reload them the next time.

So it's a bit buggy for me, I posted on the forum already but no replies so far.

I have a V-Machine also, but it's missing power for many plugins plus i'm missing the vst plugins GUI.

I was thinking of Cantabile also, but I don't see a plugin's over view there?

I'm going to try that BloXpander, hopefully it does the job so I can try out for a gig.

Ps I found chainer, what about that? http://www.xlutop.com/html/chainer.html

Archived