Lets get this out of the way - SK1 vs Electro 4D

• Members

Quick update as far the EP's go on the PC361. I took what I thought was the best sounding Rhodes patch on the PC361 and wanted to see if I could get it match my SV-1 go to patch which just has some EQ and hall reverb added. I got into the PC361 patch far enough to see that particular patch had some compression, so I turned off the EQ and reverb on the SV-1 and turned on it's compressor. I was able to match the tones almost identically. So that tells that the PC361 just needs some tweaking to the get Rhodes more to my liking, although the SV-1 would still be my main Rhodes axe. Now if I can get the clavs sounding better there may be hope.

• Members

The only reason I'm keeping the XW-P1 is because of it's synth capabilities...It's not strong either in the EP or clav area.

I took what I thought was the best sounding Rhodes patch on the PC361 and wanted to see if I could get it match my SV-1 go to patch...I was able to match the tones almost identically. So that tells that the PC361 just needs some tweaking

That makes more sense now. I can understand the PC361 maybe having EP competition in an SV1, but it didn't make sense to me for it to be outclassed in EPs by the P1. The EPs are a Kurz strength, IMO. (Though we do seem to have strayed a bit from the SK1 vs E4D topic!)

• Members

That makes more sense now. I can understand the PC361 maybe having EP competition in an SV1, but it didn't make sense to me for it to be outclassed in EPs by the P1. The EPs are a Kurz strength, IMO. (Though we do seem to have strayed a bit from the SK1 vs E4D topic!)

Yes, it strayed because I threw the PC361 into the mix because of its strong organ section and because of the price they are now being sold for. Having now played one I can now say IMO that it has strong organ section, but not quite up to the Hammond. EP's are also strong, but not SV-1 quality. Acoustic pianos I don't care for, but they're not bad. Clavs suck. Strings, voices, synth, orchestral instruments, percussion, brass, are all freakin awesome. I guess it depends on what extra sounds you need, but for me the SK1 should be the ticket. I'm pretty sure after playing the PC361 some more this morning I'll be returning it and going that direction.

btw, I just want to say that the XW-P1 is no slouch. It has an acoustic piano patch that sounds more real than any of the PC361 patches. It's clav sounds much better than PC361 and the organ section sounds good too. If it sounded more Hammondish I probably wouldn't be thinking about the SK1.

• Members

Update on the PC361. After playing around with it for a few hours I'm definitely keeping it.This thing is a beast!! After I found the additional piano, EP, organ and clav sounds deep into the patch list I was sold. Once the list gets into the 300's they are no longer categorized, so you have to go through the entire list to find them. The additional organs alone was enough to make my decision, but there also some acoustic pianos that I thought were better and some EP's also. Still not crazy about the clavs, but there were a couple I could possibly tweak into soemething I like. Anyway, for $949 (or even $2000) there is no better board available. The only thing the SK1 would have over this is the weight.

• Members

Happy SK1 owner here.

Advantages of the SK1 over the Electro series: (I have not playd the Kurz thingie).

-better, very fast and smooth action (even for pianos, IMO) and triggering, that gives you the authentic percussiveness of a real Hammond or real clavinet.

-the sounds CUT (AFAIK, a sore spot with Kurzweil)

-you can split the keyboard to do organ and one other sound- not possible with an Electro

-organ sound and leslie effect- and C/V- of the SK is more authentic

Only con, to my mind, is that the SK overdrive could use some improvement (but I have the Vent pedal if that's an issue on a gig).

• Members

I had an interesting comment from a young guitar player that I met for the first time last weekend and jammed with. He LOVED my Hammond SK2 but more importantly he loved how I used it. His comment was "...we've auditioned young keyboard players for our band but they don't know what real drawbars are... they all have these Nord things and they set those LED darwbars "all out" and then forget them. The organ sound never changes...".

The old school techniques that go with using drawbars effectively are as much of the sound as the keyboard itself. I think Nord adding real drawbars to their keyboards is an indication that they are finally figuring that out.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

subscribed as I am researching the SK-1, like the banter in this thread.

I myself am a Kurzweil PC3LE7 owner, and find the KB3 organs "good enough" for what I do.

I have previously owned (in the last 2 years) a Korg M-50 and a Hammond XK-1 that I have since parted with. Kinda miss that Hammond, hence the research into the new SK-1.

• Members

I've owned a PC3x and have since sold it. I hate manuals, and learning OS layouts, and designs. This is a FAR more capable board, and it's a great instrument... but, I never found myself going beyond 'bread & butter.' There's nothing I hate more than menu diving. I had it for a couple of years, and that was it.

I'm now using a Nord 4D, a Prophet 08' and Moog LP. This should at least give you some insight to how my brain works. I like instantly accessible tools that are really good at one thing. If you're like me, then you should love the 4D.

As I've gotten more and more experience playing/trying different boards, I've come to appreciate simplicity and quality. I used to be all about the ROMPLERS, etc.

The Nord 4D is beautiful. The action is fantastic - it's great for gigging/jamming on organs, EPs and certainly more than suffice for pianos. It's craftsmanship is one of the best I've seen in a board. The built in effects are fantastic, too. And it's VERY portable. I could care less for splits and layering sounds, so this board fits my needs perfectly.

There's something to be said about plugging in an instrument, attaching my iPod (there's an aux input on the Nord!) and just jamming/writing away... It's refreshing not turning on the computer/outboard and just practicing with out a million distractions and 'clicking' thru sounds.

I'm really happy with it. It's light, portable, fun and is helping me on my quest to improving my technique and skillset. The PC3 and Nord 4D are both wonderful boards. If you're stuck between which one to purchase, just make a checklist of whichever board fulfills your needs. There's no point in arguing sound quality. They both sound excellent. One is instantly accessible, and is easier to use, but has less sounds. The other has more of a palette and has a much higher learning curve. Which one fits your needs? For me, accessibility, craftsmanship, simplicity and fun-factor won.

I hope this helps.

-Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

really tempted to use the 15% MF coupon on a new SK-1. Based on the specs listed, it looks like it fits into either the GATOR or SKB 49-inch hard or soft cases. That's gonna save some $ too vs. the 61 cases. Trying to stay strong here, GAS is a b**ch.

• Members

After I missed out on an ebay auction for a barely used one (sold for $1514), I just could not pass it up getting a new one for 15% off. Incoming SK1 with the SKB 49 key waterproof case. Will post obligatory pics when it arrives.

• Members

Still loving my SK1- only complaint is that it is TOO small, and looks kind of toy-ish when gigged by itself (per recent comments of various sit-in band gigs). It seems that folks would notice the BIG sound more than anything. But the small size is mitigated when parking it on top of my 88-key- which, MIDI'd to is the best way to use it, anyway IMO. The SK2 would be a good solution, too- the SK action doesn't suck for playing ac. pianos IMO, especially when compared to other semi-weighted boards.

I'm wishing there were after-market thicker, sturdier endcaps available for the SK series. I would build my own, but I can't find that color duct tape.

• Members

I hear you. But I'm really looking forward to 15 lbs. vs. the 40lb. XK1 that I used to own.

I know for sure I will be using industrial strength velcro to keep it in place on my table-top style stand for home practice. I use a 2-tier rack for gigs, with the angled top piece, it should stay put.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

checking in to see if by now anyone has had an opportunity to really compare the sk1 and the 4d?

I'm mainly interested in the organ feel and sound as well as slider/drawbar comparison - I'll be using my vent and putting the board above a nord stage2, although I may end up replacing that with a casio px-5s...

thanks!

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Anyone know if the SK-1 76 & SK-1 88 note keyboards use the same action? And is it the same semi-weighted Fatar action found in Nords ( Electro 3 HP, 4 HP, Stage 2) ? I own a Electro 3 HP and really like it. Very organic sounds, warm like Kurzweil samples. And so far, it's taking the pounding I give it. Like the idea of light 88 note keyboard, like the SK-1 88. The NORD Stage 2 is over kill, and way too much $

Archived