Steps to replacing Marshall grill cloth

MKCL

• Members

Looking at vintage SS Marshall amps, I was wondering about grill cloth replacements.

1) How do you go about to do this? Do you rip out the old grill...literally just rip it out?

2) How about the Marshall lettering? Can I re-use the old lettering, somehow ripping it off the old grill...and then glueing it on the new grill?

What is the difficulty level in changing a new grill cloth and how much money should be spent?

• Members

You cannot remove it (properly) from the outside.

The Grill cloth is wrapped around the baffle and secured in place with staples.

Open cab and remove speakers, remove baffle by removing the screws .take baffle out ..remove staples and then remove cloth.

replace is reverse, flat head tacks can be used in place of staples.

• Members

here's the easiest, and quickest way.

remove the back.

remove the speaker nuts (not the jack, just the nuts that hold the jacks in place)

remove the T bar

remove the handles

remove the screws holding the baffle to the cabinet

lift the baffle out (speakers attached still)

remove staples

apply cloth

reverse the steps above.

• Members

Whoa, remove the handle?! Isn't this really dangerous? I removed the handle on a Mesa before and that was completely dangerous. The nut or whatever holding the handle slipped into the chassis and people told me not to turn the amp on, because if the nut touched something in the chassis, it could blow!

• Members

The marshall script log has pins on the back and is just hammered into place with a mallet.

best thing is to prise the old lettering off very slowly, get under it with screwdriver and be carefull, if it cracks replacements can be ordered direct from marshall, or they can be found on ebay.

• Members

Unsure of cost, not too much though, I'd get some info on the amp and see if its worth doing

Some of the old SS Marshalls can sound very good, a music shop in cannock UK (One that was frequented by Glen Tipton when he was about town ;) )had one that sounded absolutely killer.

• Members

Oh right, that makes sense.

So if I get a grill cloth, can I re-use the white piping and Marshall lettering? Mainly the white piping. If I tear off the original grill, would I still be able to use the white piping?

And for the piping, do you glue that?

Archived