What is the difference between the Gibson Les Paul Classic and Standard Humbuckers?

em07189

• Members

Hi Everyone!

What is the difference between the Gibson Les Paul Classic and the Les Paul Standard Humbuckers?

And what is the best Humbucker combination the 496R e 500T in the Classic or the BurstBuckers pro on the Standard?

Is there a difference Between the Standard and Classic finishes on the neck?

The Standard says that is Made in USA, and the Classic is also made in USA?

Thanks.

• Members

The 500T is hotter and more aggressive sounding. The classic does not have a flamed top unless its a Premium Plus model. Not sure about the necks. I do know that the Classic's tend to have the slimmer 60's neck. I believe it is made in the usa too.

• Members

The Classic pickups are a little hotter. The BurstBuckers on a standard are a little more fluid, if that makes sense. Both work very well into a Marshall or similarly voiced amp. The BurstBuckers do require a little extra boost (IMHO) during solos.

• Members

Standards - Burstbuckers. More mid-rangey, more "classic/vintage" sounding. They sound much like the 490R/498T, but a little more harmonic detail. The 490R/498T's were the mainstay pick-ups in the standards for several years, until the Burstbuckers were offered. I think, (could be wrong), that the Burstbuckers were first introduced in the Gary Moore Signature Les Paul Studios, in zebra, open-coil form... Standards were always offered with '59 rounded profile, until they decided to include the 60's slim taper option. Personally, I liked the tone of Standards with the 490R/498T's better. The Burstbuckers are kinda shrill.

Classics - 496R/500T. More sizzle, and aggression. Hot, hot, hot. Some of my favorite pick-ups on the planet. I can compare them to some extent to the Seymour Duncan Distortion pick-ups. Same pick-ups are stock on the '67 reissue Flying V's, and '76 reissue Explorers. Next to the old "Dirty Fingers", they're the hottest pick-ups Gibson makes. 60's slim taper neck on ALL Classics. The Classics are a really beefy sounding guitar. Moreso than the Standards, IMO.

I've owned them all, (except the GM Studio). And yes, they're all made in the USA. Hope this helps, and makes sense.

Archived