Framus Cobra + 6L6/6550's?

ericwylde

• Members

Apologies for bringing back a dead thread..

..but I have been searching far and wide over the internet for an answer, along with an unanswered email to Framus, about a tube type mentioned in this thread. Has anyone found out the specifics on what is necessary to safely and correctly install kt88 tubes in a Framus Cobra? I have had a quartet of platinum matched Sovtek's for a while now, and really would like to hear what they do for the amp. Otherwise I need to put them up on Craigz or the bay and grab some kt77's or them Ruby STR's that are so highly praised here. One more question, if you install kt77's do you bias them the same as el34's?

I am obviously new as this user, but have been on here before.

Thanks ahead of time for any pertinent information..

:wave::confused::wave::thu:

• Members

Apologies for bringing back a dead thread..

..but I have been searching far and wide over the internet for an answer, along with an unanswered email to Framus, about a tube type mentioned in this thread. Has anyone found out the specifics on what is necessary to safely and correctly install kt88 tubes in a Framus Cobra? I have had a quartet of platinum matched Sovtek's for a while now, and really would like to hear what they do for the amp. Otherwise I need to put them up on Craigz or the bay and grab some kt77's or them Ruby STR's that are so highly praised here. One more question, if you install kt77's do you bias them the same as el34's?

I am obviously new as this user, but have been on here before.

Thanks ahead of time for any pertinent information..

:wave::confused::wave::thu:

I don't have any useful information for you but what is it you're trying to accomplish by putting kt88's in your Cobra?

• Members

awe I dunno, maybe a litttle more headroom....or a slight change of tone for A.D.D.'s sake. I have read great things about them, and a recording engineer that I spoke with a year or 2 back said that he had them in a Cobra in his studio, and that if you play technical heavy styles of music it is way better...which is something I kind of want to see/hear because it is hard for me to believe that a Cobra can sound much better than stock with the bias increased.

• Members

just stick KT77's in there. Let's face it the cobra is not the best built amp on the planet...I wouldn't do anything that could make it even less reliable.

I did just that , and it sounds great.

• Members

nice. did you just have to bias them like the el34's then? just double checking. haha. down to the t, tell me what you love about what those kt77's did for your tone. unless you already did in this thread...I will check.:idea:

Archived