best "NON" tube power amp for PODXT Pro

zoean

• Members

they make power amps without tubes??!?!

if you're playing in your home, get some good powered monitors like event tr8's or something.

pods love powered monitors

but if you don't want to do that, i don't know much about SS power amps, but i know that if you're gunna go that route, pods + some kind of power + EV 12L's go very well.

• Members

the name I always hear in this context is the crate powerblock. Seems like a good match.

I have a Powerblock. They sound great at lower volumes, but when you push it to band level they seem to crap out. There's a huge loss of bass response and a sterile quality to it.

• Members

The Carvin DCM150 would be a good choice. Carvin amps are very transparent and work well with preamps and amp modelers.

Carvin is great stuff. I was actually looking at the DCM600. Would the 150 get loud enough without losing headroom?

• Members

I'd vote for the Mosvalve first, and second, if you can find one the Hafler/Digitech G series. I have a G150, it was super cheap and sounds great! Had a Mosvalve back in the day, but sold it. The deal I got on the Hafler I couldn't pass it up and it's solid.

Archived