Critique is NOT a verb!!!!

• Members

So why do you people insist on requesting that people "Critique my lyrics" etc. ? Am I missing some new interpretation of the word? "Critique" is a noun, meaning more along the lines of "a piece of criticism," such as a review. Thus I believe the word you are looking for is "criticise" i.e. "Criticise my lyrics." That is all.

• Members

languange is mutable, and evolves and so forth. Nothing wrong with that, but it is a minor annoyance to see it misused. Double negatives and pronouns missing antecedents are ubiquitous and highly annoying, while making a verb a noun or vice versa is simply something that I notice that serves as a momentary distraction.

I'm not here to critque anybody's language skills ;)

• Members

Originally posted by ageofzeppelin

I'm with dead. Use the correct words, guys.

Another annoyance is using "quote" as a noun. It's a verb. If you quote someone, then you have a quotation.

OK, now you guys are kidding - right?

Jeezus frikin Christ - quote is a noun (also). Take two seconds to look in a dictionary before posting your folk wisdom (dumb-ass and incorrect opinions)!

• Members

Quote is a verb that is mutating into a noun, just like critique is mutating. Perhaps it is becoming such due to "dumb-ass" people using them in an "incorrect" manner. Those of education use verbs as verbs and nouns as nouns, rather than verbs as verbs and verbs as nouns. Speak in any manner you wish, but to those who know better your vocal mannerisms and speech patterns will be a minor nuisance.

Usage Note: People have been using the noun quote as a truncation of quotation for over 100 years, and its use in less formal contexts is widespread today. Language critics have objected to this usage, however, as unduly journalistic or breezy. As such, it is best avoided in more formal situations. The Usage Panel, at least, shows more tolerance for the word as the informality of the situation increases. Thus, only 38 percent of Panelists accept the example He began the chapter with a quote from the Bible, but the percentage rises to 53 when the source of the quotation is less serious: He lightened up his talk by throwing in quotes from Marx Brothers movies.

• Members

This is happening all the time. In the 70s people didn't say things like "I hope it doesn't rain tommorow" the only gramatically "correct" way of saying it was "It is to be hoped that it won't rain tommorow" and of course when people started using "hope" in the new way there was much tut-tutting, just like your doing now. And "ageofzeppelin": in old english double negatives acctually intensified meaning, not changed it, so this form which has survived in some dialects is acctually the more authentic form, it's people who use the 'correct dictionary' version who are guilty of changing the language.

The bottom line is- if you understand then there's nothing to worry about. It's much better to embrace change because your never going to halt it.

• Members

Another example is "Party"

No one complains about the sentence: "I'm going out to party"

But in the 60s, people were furious that party (a noun) was being used as a verb! It just goes to show that you can't fight language change.

• Members

Oh yea just one last thing deadnight, if we're going to be pedantic; your use of all caps, and the quadrouple exclamation mark at the end of your title "Critique is NOT a verb!!!!" is hardly standard english, is it?

• Members

Originally posted by ageofzeppelin

Quote is a verb that is mutating into a noun, just like critique is mutating. Perhaps it is becoming such due to "dumb-ass" people using them in an "incorrect" manner. Those of education use verbs as verbs and nouns as nouns, rather than verbs as verbs and verbs as nouns. Speak in any manner you wish, but to those who know better your vocal mannerisms and speach patterns will be a minor nuisance.

Usage Note: People have been using the noun quote as a truncation of quotation for over 100 years, and its use in less formal contexts is widespread today. Language critics have objected to this usage, however, as unduly journalistic or breezy. As such, it is best avoided in more formal situations. The Usage Panel, at least, shows more tolerance for the word as the informality of the situation increases. Thus, only 38 percent of Panelists accept the example He began the chapter with a quote from the Bible, but the percentage rises to 53 when the source of the quotation is less serious: He lightened up his talk by throwing in quotes from Marx Brothers movies.

The English language has been bastardized from day one. Check your 20 volumes of the OED and see that most of the words you now use have changed in meaning or taken on different parts of speech. But now your going to draw a line in the sand and say that usage from the early twentieth-century (or whenever) is the standard!? Since language is constantly changing, then the deciding vote comes from the modern usage dictionaries - period. Any of the great thinkers from any century coined many of their own terms - without any license from some stale usage manual. Shakespeare would have been ignorant by your antiquated rules-following standards.

So why do people use quote as a noun? Because it "now" is a noun, in addition to a verb. Language changes - deal with it.

;)

• Members

Originally posted by BryanMichael

To which word are you refering rickenvox?

I didn't understand your first post. Are you agreeing that

"critique" is indeed a verb?

Peace,

Bryan

Yes, I'm agreeing that critique is also a transitive verb. (I had to read back several messages to remember what the original statement was since we were sidetracked with the "quote" issue)

Cheers

• Members

This is why I love Rock-n-Roll.......

A bunch of rowdy, beer-drinking trouble-makers using proper english ?!?!?!

Do you comb your hair between songs ?

Do you use a lint brush between sets ?

I'm sorry, but you "langauge police" -type guys make me crazy.

Everytime people call me anal I think about the grammar-obsessed guys at H-C !

Thank you ...I feel better now !

• Members

Originally posted by stupidog

Wow, DeadNight, you must {censored} bricks when you're in the studio with a real engineer. Making nouns into verbs is one of the first things they teach you at Engineering school.
:)
"EQ that bass"

"notch that kick"

etc...

LOL! That was a good analogy!

• Members

Originally posted by stupidog

Wow, DeadNight, you must {censored} bricks when you're in the studio with a real engineer. Making nouns into verbs is one of the first things they teach you at Engineering school.
:)
"EQ that bass"

"notch that kick"

etc...

Hehehe...good point there.

And my use of caps and exclamation marks was merely to try and highlight the frustration suffered, which would not have been quite so evident had I written it "normally."

So some say it is, and some say it isn't. Well, I'm going to use criticise. All you critique-ing types can go to hell!!! :D

• Members

OK ALL THIS GOT ME THINKING. IS CRAP A NOUN OR A VERB, AND HOW ABOUT {censored}. WHAT ABOUT {censored}. IF FART IS A VERB THEN HOW CAN I SMELL A FART. I AM WORRIED THAT I HAVE BEEN MISUSING ALL THESE WORDS ALL MY LIFE. I THINK I NEED TO REEVALUATE MY CHOICE OF PRIMARY LANUAGE. PERHAPS I'LL TRY PIGLATIN. TELL ME IS THAT A ROMANTIC ROOTED LANGUAGE, OR IS THE LATIN PART JUST A MISNOUMER?

ATERLAY UDESDAY,

IANBRAY

• Members

"Those of education use verbs as verbs and nouns as nouns, rather than verbs as verbs and verbs as nouns. Speak in any manner you wish, but to those who know better your vocal mannerisms and speach patterns will be a minor nuisance."

If I had said this, I would be really embarassed. This is arrogant nonsense. If you were to correspond with an 'educated' gentlemen from only 100 years ago, he would no doubt think you to be poorly educated.

Language changes. It is defined by its CURRENT useage. Therefore, if a noun is used as a verb long enough, by enough people, then it is a VERB! Same for verbs being used as nouns.

The English language is full of words whose meanings have changed over the centuries. There are plenty of examples where nouns have become verbs. Some even drift from noun to verb, then back again.

You need to understand that English is a living language and as such is defined by the people who use it. Calling yourself 'educated' does not give you a monopoly on the language. If anything, you should consider yourself to be using a stilted and old fashioned language, since you are unable to accept the modern useage of some words.

• Moderators

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Lewis Carroll: Through the Looking-Glass

Archived