If you want to get a lot of feedback on your recorded songs...

Anson

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

YEAH, BUT THEY MAKE YOU USE REAL PLAYER WHICH {censored}S UP EVERY COMPUTER I EVER INSTALL IT ON, AND TO GET IT ALL THE WAY OFF YOU HAVE TO REINSTALL YOUR OS. DONT UNDERSTAND WHY ANYONE USES THAT PILE OF {censored} PROGRAM.

bRIAN

What POS OS do you use? Or computer for that matter if Real Audio screws it up?

Real audio is great for being able to squeeze the most amount of sound quality out of a connection. So someone who's on a 56k dialup won't have to suffer with a terrible sound source to listen to.

As for uninstalling - open Control Panel, use the remove program utility, and Real Player is gone. If your computer can't handle it, get a better one.

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

YEAH, BUT THEY MAKE YOU USE REAL PLAYER WHICH {censored}S UP EVERY COMPUTER I EVER INSTALL IT ON, AND TO GET IT ALL THE WAY OFF YOU HAVE TO REINSTALL YOUR OS. DONT UNDERSTAND WHY ANYONE USES THAT PILE OF {censored} PROGRAM.

bRIAN

I don't like Real Player either, but it does the job and it's not a big problem for most people to use. Just make sure you pay attention when you're installing it, otherwise it will put a bunch of crap on your computer you probably don't want.

• Members

here is the problem with real player.

IF you have several types of players on your system your system wants to know what the default player is. If you set it to real player then later change your mind and reset it to something else the real player program doesnt like it. Players tend to associate themselves with certain dll files and hold onto them as if they owned them. Then when another program tries to use that public dll it cant.

Another thing that real player tends to do is to take with it certain dll files from DIRECT X and ACTIVE X directories when its deleted.

Ive run accross this many times with guys always installing different games and viewers/players on this PC i use at work. And almost every time before a problem came up someone was screwing with either deleting real player or installing a newer version of it.

Alot of times GAMES themselves attach to dll's and take possession of them. Even to the point of moving them from the normal public directory they reside in and placing them in the game directory. Then if the user removes the game by dragging the folder to the waiste bin the dll files go with it. And if you use the remove program option it WONT move that dll back to the correct directory when it deletes the folder.

Of course, alot of programs out there do this as trying to make your system work for their software and not for others. Its a proprietary thing they want to ram down your throat. As long as you use their product as the main entity for that player/viewer there is no problem.

• Members

I've got MusicMatch and I bought the upgrade WAY back when...and get free upgrades for life.

I went ahead and downloaded Real Player. And my computer tanked. Big time. I couldn't even run scandisk because that program was tying up everything else on my hard drive. Somehow. I don't know how. But it was a nightmare. And I'll never trust that program again.

Too bad they don't support MMJB.

• Members

No, and to be honest some problems may be related to other things using the dll files i mentioned. Games are the biggest culprits sometimes. Somehow they attach or take ownership of some dll files as if they were part of the game. Then when you delete the game the dll files that should stay on the computer get removed also. But i have myself installed real player on my own system at work when everything was fine prior, and then had problems. But is that real players fault? Or perhaps one of the other players that was the primary program for playing files had done the same thing. That i dojt know because we change this PC at work im on all the time.

I know that on my dads PC we installed real player and then quicktime quit working properly for video. He also has some generic non MS player that got screwed when i removed real player. So thats a big part of what im saying.

• Members

Originally posted by StratKat

No, and to be honest some problems may be related to other things using the dll files i mentioned. Games are the biggest culprits sometimes. Somehow they attach or take ownership of some dll files as if they were part of the game. Then when you delete the game the dll files that should stay on the computer get removed also. But i have myself installed real player on my own system at work when everything was fine prior, and then had problems. But is that real players fault? Or perhaps one of the other players that was the primary program for playing files had done the same thing. That i dojt know because we change this PC at work im on all the time.

I know that on my dads PC we installed real player and then quicktime quit working properly for video. He also has some generic non MS player that got screwed when i removed real player. So thats a big part of what im saying.

I think a lot of it is Microsoft's crappy system of automatically assigning ownership of new files to the most recently installed application.

That said, I always choose custom installs and assign file types myself before running the programs. Haven't had a problem yet. I have Musicmatch, Real Audio, Winamp, Quicktime, and MS Media player, and not a conflict between them.

Archived