The direction of Metal in the 21st century

WattsUrizen

• Members

I'd realy like to see a fresh new sound. atmospheric, spacey, actual singing, but still being heavy and metally, just with more little nuances. fear factory meets black album meets pink floyd, I guess. something fresh. if you consider Tool metal, they're the best thing going right now, at least in the mainstream

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by TheBeast

Devin Townsend's work with Strapping Young Lad, and especially his solo work, is indeed worth perusing.

It's amazing.

Strapping young lad got to simplistic for my tastes (in metal that is) but he definately a crazy mother{censored}er...

And guys... Theres no one way to eat a reeses (sp) heh

• Members

Oh yeah, emporer has alot of punk influence as far as chord structures go.. And i dont see anything special about them, maby there lyrics are corny and deep and the guitarist burnt down a church so waht... They dont sound as good as marduk heh...

• Members

Originally posted by jaeger82

Oh yeah, emporer has alot of punk influence as far as chord structures go.. And i dont see anything special about them, maby there lyrics are corny and deep and the guitarist burnt down a church so waht... They dont sound as good as marduk heh...

LOL.

• Members

Originally posted by ScottWMF

I'd realy like to see a fresh new sound. atmospheric, spacey, actual singing, but still being heavy and metally, just with more little nuances. fear factory meets black album meets pink floyd, I guess. something fresh. if you consider Tool metal, they're the best thing going right now, at least in the mainstream

I find tool to be very bland and unimaginative, actually...there is much cooler in the underground if you look hard enough.

Bands you might find of interest (based on your description of "fresh") would include: Arcturus (one of the most original bands I've ever heard), Amorphis, Hypocrisy, Sirius, Bal Sagoth, etc.

Remember, the best stuff is ALWAYS beneath the surface of what the media hand-feeds you...look to the underground, it where innovation breeds.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Damn guys!!!!

Where the heck do you find all of these bands.!!??????

I have never listened to any of these! (maybe because I live in the black hole of rock music...!!! ;)).

The last "metal" band I have heard recently is Killswitch Engage. They don't sound bad.! I like them.!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

well theres lots of things in metal that are interesting. things like dillinger escape plan, candiria (without the hip hop stuff), converge (really brutal), tool, meshuggah (chaosphere rulez)...

i think that metal blended with jazz and industrial sounds can create something extremely unique and profound. not by the technical side, more about the feeling of it.

i just hate bands that just think in the technique...theyre damn boring...

• Members

Originally posted by Sven Muzrub

I've just formed a death/grind band myself, and rather than 'trying' to shock we've taken a much more, well, controversial route; comedy death metal

I thought all death metal was comedy :confused:

(sorry, I couldn't resist :cool: )

• Members

Metal is alive and well in many forms.

I think many people fail to grasp that it is the nature of the genre (which is as diverse as any) to put its worst face to the public, while the real gems are largely missed completely by the so called "metalheads".

Among the many metal fans I have known there seem to be 2 distinct breeds.

Type A: wants "brutal,heavy, scary" music.

Type B: wants innovation.

Sure, we all have the qualities of both types, but dont tell me you don't know many a metalhead who wouldnt be caught dead listening to "techo" or anything not heavy enough to be "cool".

It's these so called fans who seem to be missing the point of what metal is all about in the first place:

Daring to do something comletely DIFFERENT.

Te emphasize this point let's look at some of the acts that have been around for a while (in no particular order):

Amorphis

Samael

Moonspell

Emperor

Dodheimsgard

Mayhem

Mortiis

Cathedral

Enslaved

and especially

ULVER

All these bands have at least 4 great albums.

All these bands have caused huge controversy among their fans because at one time or another each has (usually in the latter part of their career) released an album that was not "metal" enough. Many completely pulled the rug out from under us. These "controversial" albums are among the best of what "metal" has to offer, but are also the most overlooked.

The problem here is that some sort of status quo has been established within metal by its own fanbase. This fanbase then lashes out whenver a band is "outside the box".

...missing the point that metal is about being "outside the box" in the first frickin' place.

This is metals biggest problem today. Thankfully there is no shortage of great musicians who care little about whatever boxes the likes like of us would like to put them in.

-----------------------------

As to the direction of metal in this new century, look no further than the excellent "thorns vs Emperor". Or the self titled "thorns" album or dodheimsgards "666 internatinal" or Arcturus or Green Carnation or ..........

Its out there, but are you?

• Members

Great post Sinner, I totally agree with you. It really is quite amusing to note the 'true' fans who squeal in disgust when their favourite band develop their music. Of course, cries of 'sellout' are never far away either, probably to draw attention away from their small-mindedness and the fact it is they who have no respect for artistic integrity.

• Members

Originally posted by Anomandaris

Great post Sinner, I totally agree with you. It really is quite amusing to note the 'true' fans who squeal in disgust when their favourite band develop their music. Of course, cries of 'sellout' are never far away either, probably to draw attention away from their small-mindedness and the fact it is they who have no respect for artistic integrity.

I think we can all spot a band that evolved or developed like say Rush, Tool, Led Zeppelin, The Cure....

vs. a band that really sold out like Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Members

*****Basically metal can't innovate itself now without becoming a whole new genre. I mean, Anyone that writes music these days will sound like someone else- look at Opeth- you can dissect their songs and attribute each part to a band that's already established itself years before. What I'm getting at is: I've often thought that Electronic music like techno is the most modern music out there although I really don't have any appreciation for it- it's cutting edge and new genres seem to branch off everyday. I've been thinking of writing techno-type music incorporating metal like harmonizing guitar riffs with aspects of metal drums (double kick) all chopped up which I think would be a fairly new metal sound- although people might shun it as being truly metal sounding which is the paradox- you can play 'true' metal and be labeled a copycat or innovate and be in a whole different genre.

quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by billyscorps86

Furthermore their drummers will continue wishing they could play punk rock, but will continue having to use those {censored} double-kick setups to do so.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's funny man! The drummer in my metal band was a very talented punk drummer that toured for years at the top of the heap and claimed he could play double kick until I bought him one... it took him 2 years just to get to the point where can play an even pattern- so that's definitely not true.

• Members

What I want to know is why so many of you can throw out intellectual opinions of metal at the drop of a hat and seem so sure of what you want in the genre but not deliver those views with your own music? If you are so passionate about metal and what you expect then why don't you start writing material that fits exactly what you complain about that's missing? I'm not saying this with a defensive tone or anything, its just an observation. I tend to only critique something if I can back it up with my own playing or writing so I don't understand the concept of picking at something in so much depth and detail but not doing anything about it directly with your own instrument. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Verdical

What I want to know is why so many of you can throw out intellectual opinions of metal at the drop of a hat and seem so sure of what you want in the genre but not deliver those views with your own music? If you are so passionate about metal and what you expect then why don't you start writing material that fits exactly what you complain about that's missing? I'm not saying this with a defensive tone or anything, its just an observation. I tend to only critique something if I can back it up with my own playing or writing so I don't understand the concept of picking at something in so much depth and detail but not doing anything about it directly with your own instrument.
;)

I am doing so, although my music becomes less and less metal all the time.

• Members

Verdical-

Keep in mind that "the bar" is set painfully high. The group of musicians at the low end sound much more similar to each other than the bands at the high end.

I personally believe it is possible to have an intelligent conversation about metal without anyone present playing an original song to add weight to their opinion.

Do you have any tracks you would like us to hear?

• Members

Originally posted by Sinner6

Verdical-

Keep in mind that "the bar" is set painfully high. The group of musicians at the low end sound much more similar to each other than the bands at the high end.

I personally believe it is possible to have an intelligent conversation about metal without anyone present playing an original song to add weight to their opinion.

Do you have any tracks you would like us to hear?

I get what you're saying Sinner6 but it certainly doesn't hurt anything to know the playing/writing caliber of someone you are conversating with. I would love to share some of my tracks although my recent stuff is all far from this genre. I'll work on getting them on to my PC and let you know when they're available.

• Members

OK, here comes an outsider.

I like metal. Clean, crisp, ice-pick in the eye-socket metal.

Sadly, so many metal bands make me laugh more than anything else - it's like (in another genre) the Goth-er than Thou type of thing. Sort of navel-gazing while carving your chest with a razor blade type stuff, and it ends up like Count Floyd.

"Man, Fetal Corps is so much more Hessian than deThrottle."

Now, pretty much when I'm in a metal mood I'm in a Devin Townsend/SYL place these days as it's intense, musical and powerful. Pretty much the ONLY modern metal I can stand.

Love old school Megadeth and Pre-Black Metallica, becuase it seemed that there was a consciousness behind it- a driven intent to drive some sort of message home.

I mentioned that most modern metal makes me laugh. It seems that much of the modern crop have forgotten the way to create truly terrifying songs. I'm not sure what that something is, but I have a live DVD of Oingo Boingo's last concert, that when I watch it before sleep, keeps me turning all night. That has it.

I don't know what I'm saying. I'm tired and wat overdue for sleep. I'm sure there are bands that are truly terrifying, but I haven't run across them.

Make Much Metal.

Peace.

• Members

Originally posted by TheBeast

Devin Townsend's work with Strapping Young Lad, and especially his solo work, is indeed worth perusing.

It's amazing.

lol

I posted this before I became 'Nighteyes'

Sorry...I was just suprised to see it still here.

• Members

JUMPSTART! DIFIBULATE! BUMP! METAL!

Lets hear some good examples of good contemporary metal.

Share a interesting band.

Ill start.

PLAYING ENEMY

ANODYNE

DIM MAK

DOXOMEDON

ENCABULOS

COUNCIL OF THE FALLEN

INCIVISM

KALIBAS

NEURAXIS

and for old folks, like myself, with good eclectic taste: KINSKI

Stick those in yer KaZaa and smoke em!

Now share some gems with the rest of us.

Show me some good metal!

• Members

I forgot:

DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN

CONVERGE (call it hardcore or whatever you want, its {censored}ing metal)

DISCORDANCE AXIS

DON CABALLERO

AGORAPHOBIC NOSEBLEED

THE {censored}ING CHAMPS!!!

BURNT BY THE SUN

IMMOLATION

O X E S !!!

and the MELVINS are going to outlive Keith Richards!

Give me some more!

Archived