The direction of Metal in the 21st century

WattsUrizen

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The thing about metalheads is that they take themselves soooo seriously. I've been a fan of music since a very young age and been exposed to just about everything. Now when I began developing my taste for what I truly enjoyed I noticed that I hated the attitude of "metal" bands. Everyone is just so self-important and everything the do is on "some deeper level". It's all pretty laughable in my opinion. I guess that's why I kind of leaned toward the "punk" school of thought.

Now here's the catch: IT'S ALL JUST ROCK 'N ROLL BOYS AND GIRLS!!!

Beneath all of the stereotyping bull{censored} are musicians making music and it's a beautiful thing. I used to care about all of this but I can't anymore--it's just too funny. I think that there is something positive even in the lowliest forms of music and the more people that come to this realization the better. I like what I like and that's all there is to it. I don't need to "prove myself to you". I really can't take the screaming and the 24/7 "I'm dark and evil" routine, so I don't listen to what you guys do. It just isn't my thing. But I respect it....

In my opinion, the true essence of punk died a long time ago but a "punk-influenced" rock lives on and I enjoy it quite a bit. Musically it can go from really simple to super technical. Lyrically, it can go from carefree sing-a-longs and political rants to super deep powerful stuff. The bands are fun, down-to-earth, and almost always a blast to listen to. In my opinion, there's nothing more fulfilling that 500 kids singing at the top of their lungs over the band at a show--nothing in the world. It's not worth your time to try and stereotype "punk" because it can't be stereotyped. It's too broad and varied--just like metal is.

And now on to musicianship: Once you're at a certain level in your playing, you can play any style you want. Your talent is discerned from your personal style and the impact that your particular playing/performance has on the music. Metal is not harder than punk or country or whatever. It's just DIFFERENT.

Josh Freeze has played in the Vandals (yes, a punk band...) since the early 80's. He is also one of the most prestigious session drummers in Los Angelas. Guess what? He has also played with Devo, A Perfect Circle, Guns N Roses, and recently did some tracks on the Avril Lavigne album. Can you think of more any diverse musical acts to perform in/for?

Guess what kind of music he says is the hardest do? NOTHING, it's all just a different approach.

And that kiddies is my lesson for today....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Members
Originally posted by The*Ataris

The thing about metalheads is that they take themselves soooo seriously. I've been a fan of music since a very young age and been exposed to just about everything. Now when I began developing my taste for what I truly enjoyed I noticed that I hated the attitude of "metal" bands. Everyone is just so self-important and everything the do is on "some deeper level". It's all pretty laughable in my opinion. I guess that's why I kind of leaned toward the "punk" school of thought.

Now here's the catch: IT'S ALL JUST ROCK 'N ROLL BOYS AND GIRLS!!!

Beneath all of the stereotyping bull{censored} are musicians making music and it's a beautiful thing. I used to care about all of this but I can't anymore--it's just too funny. I think that there is something positive even in the lowliest forms of music and the more people that come to this realization the better. I like what I like and that's all there is to it. I don't need to "prove myself to you". I really can't take the screaming and the 24/7 "I'm dark and evil" routine, so I don't listen to what you guys do. It just isn't my thing. But I respect it....

In my opinion, the true essence of punk died a long time ago but a "punk-influenced" rock lives on and I enjoy it quite a bit. Musically it can go from really simple to super technical. Lyrically, it can go from carefree sing-a-longs and political rants to super deep powerful stuff. The bands are fun, down-to-earth, and almost always a blast to listen to. In my opinion, there's nothing more fulfilling that 500 kids singing at the top of their lungs over the band at a show--nothing in the world. It's not worth your time to try and stereotype "punk" because it can't be stereotyped. It's too broad and varied--just like metal is.

And now on to musicianship: Once you're at a certain level in your playing, you can play any style you want. Your talent is discerned from your personal style and the impact that your particular playing/performance has on the music. Metal is not harder than punk or country or whatever. It's just DIFFERENT.

Josh Freeze has played in the Vandals (yes, a punk band...) since the early 80's. He is also one of the most prestigious session drummers in Los Angelas. Guess what? He has also played with Devo, A Perfect Circle, Guns N Roses, and recently did some tracks on the Avril Lavigne album. Can you think of more any diverse musical acts to perform in/for?

Guess what kind of music he says is the hardest do? NOTHING, it's all just a different approach.

And that kiddies is my lesson for today....

You are the smartest person I have seen in this thread yet. I agree completely with you on all counts!:)

• 2 months later...
  • Members

just read this thread.

Im not sure about black metal bands and opeth stuff.

I have a couple friends (now living up north) that listen to that stuff.

I just can't relate to singers that just yell, or just get that 80s metal singing vibe.

Nu-metal or current metal as I call it seems to be pretty cool. I like killswitch engage, a few fear factory albums, they have a little bit of singing in em.

I can really relate to SOIL's new album - good singing, pummelling guitars.

messuggah is cool on the guitars, but cant relate to all that yelling. just sounds like two dudes fighting it out with jackhammers, and yelling. (just imo)

but what about all the new metal duds?

I cant believe how bad the new puddle of mudd, staind, korn, limp biskit albums are - these are the worst albums ever. Korn has rapping and choruses that are annoying. puddle of mudd has lyrics that say sticks and stones will break my bones, but names....limp and kid rock singing 70s songs...

these are the worst original lyrics ever. Its all because of these dudes!!!!

why did nu-metal go this route? guess we just need new blood after the mp3 purging occurs....

• 5 months later...
  • Members

my $.02;

the future of metal is Tool, Coheed and Cambria, the Mars Volta, Thursday and A Perfect Circle. as the human torch once said, flame on. :cool:

you know what ties these four bands togeather? a less-is-more attitude to the music. less gain, not more, is the future of metal. heavy is a feeling, not a sound, and the more people come around to that, then the evolution begins again.

• Members
Originally posted by khameleon

my $.02;

the future of metal is Tool, Coheed and Cambria, the Mars Volta, Thursday and A Perfect Circle. as the human torch once said, flame on.
:cool:

you know what ties these four bands togeather? a less-is-more attitude to the music. less gain, not more, is the future of metal. heavy is a
feeling
, not a sound, and the more people come around to that, then the evolution begins again.

I don't think any of those bands really play metal...more like proggy alternative or whatever.

• Members
Originally posted by khameleon

my $.02;

the future of metal is Tool, Coheed and Cambria, the Mars Volta, Thursday and A Perfect Circle. as the human torch once said, flame on.
:cool:

you know what ties these four bands togeather? a less-is-more attitude to the music. less gain, not more, is the future of metal. heavy is a
feeling
, not a sound, and the more people come around to that, then the evolution begins again.

I disagree with the bands listed.
I think more diversified tastes are forming...
(ei. Dillenger Escape Plan will lead to Voivod then to King Crimson for the young and moldable... hopefully.)

but I do agree with the second part of your statement.
but truly it has always been that way.
until the marketing saturation of mtv and clear channel shoving nu-metal crap down impressionable young kids throats...

but now the crap has been oversaturated and what you said in the second part of your statement will become corporal again...
I hope.

that was my $.03.
cheers.

• 4 months later...

Archived