Questions about relative major/minor

MuyLoCo444

• Members

I understand about relative major and minor chords. But what about scales. I was learning "Mr. Crowley", which is in F, but I could also solo it in D minor since that is the relative minor right? Someone please explain to me about the scales.

• Members

If Mr. Crowley is in F Major then you could solo in D Minor and you would be cool. I havent heard it in ages but I remember it being a minor sounding kind of song. If its in F Minor then you could solo in Aflat major and you would be cool. It sounds like you want to start learning about modes. Knowing a little can be helpful when soloing. If no one else gives you a brief rundown I can when I have more time.

• Members

The notes of the D natural minor are the same as the F major. However the notes of the D harmonic minor, and D melodic minor are not. So you have to be careful here.

I suppose you could use the D natural minor, but really, you'd just be using the F major, as most likely the melody/rhythm of the solo would tend to sound as F major, due to the fact the song is in F major.

Relative minor/majors are more useful in modulations.

Archived