Letting go of part of a song is difficult but necessary sometimes.

thelonius74

• Members

Do you guys have problems with this? I'm working on one particular piece right now, and I had come up with a little riff to break things up...almost a pre-chorus, but it was an unintended part so I've been laboring over what to put over this riff melody-wise. As hard as I try I just can't come up with something to my satisfaction. I'm thinking it may be in my best interest to cut the part for the sake of the overall song, but some of the people who have heard the song so far consider that riff to be the crux of the song almost. What would you guys do?

• Members

Well, for me a riff is never "the crux of the song". I've listened too much to Dylan for that to be the case :)

Anyway, if it is any help think like this. You can always use a good riff in antother song. Just like you can with great lyrics ideas. If they don't work for the song, save them for the next time.

• Members

I think it was Brahms that said, 'The composer is master'.

Don't be a slave to the idea if it disturbs the song. Sure, the idea might be great on it's own, but if it hurts the song, it becomes a bad idea.

If the riff is the 'crux' of the song, then maybe you should write another song around that riff, and get rid of it in the first song.

• Members

Oh, I completely agree with you guys...and even you Terje, that a riff is not the crux of any song really. Only an enhancement.

I was just talking about the difficulties of letting go of a part that you're attatched to, or changing something that you've worked on for a while, etc.

• Members

But the thought that helps me is that if I have a good ideqa, like a nice riff, then it'll most probably work later. Savve it, save all good ideas.

I mostly write lyrics when I write. I have this "problem" all the time. I write this great lyric line (or one I think is great anyway) and then I can't make a song out of it.

Or I have a song, and I have a great line, or verse, that sort of works with it but disturbs the whole. It has to go but it'll always find it's way into something else later on.

Archived