Good amp techs in the Toronto area who aren't going to charge an arm and a leg?

bikehorn

• Members

I have a '66 or '67 Bassman sitting here. When I received it, it was supposedly shocking people. I didn't want to test this theory so I haven't plugged it in since. I know it needs a cap job and I'm comfortable doing that myself, as well as 'blackfacing' it. I don't feel comfortable tracking down the source of the shocking and I don't want to work on it till that problem is sorted...so I'd like a proper tech to look after that. I'm looking for one in the Toronto area who might be able to do that, but I can't pay $250 for the work. For that cost I would rather just not fix the amp. Who would you recommend?

• Members

I recommend saving up $250. :) It's a 30-year old amp that you want re-capped, some troubleshooting will be involved, you want it "black-faced", and it probably needs some other general maintenance too (including but not limited to retubing). This will take a tech a couple hours for sure, if not more, to properly service and test. It's not a $50 job.

For that matter, I should say this in general to people reading this (besides you): if you buy an old amp and expect to pay a tech a minimum fee to make it work like new, that's not a reasonable expectation. There's a reason old Traynors, Garnets, Fenders and such sell for so cheap: they need work and people feel it's not worth the money to have the work done. If you do, that's fine. But you should expect to pay a few hundred to get the amp working properly, just in case.

• Members

Well for a recap, retube and tracking down the source of the HV leak, I certainly wouldn't expect it to be a $50 job! I know it's going to take up a bunch of the tech's time and therefore result in a higher final cost. It's part of the reason I want to replace the electrolytics myself...and gain some experience working on amps.

I've worked on some solid state audio gear and built two stereo SS poweramps, obviously not completely similar to working on tube designs with high voltages, but I have enough of a handle on electrical safety not to go poking a multimeter lead just anywhere. Replacing (safely discharged) capacitors and a few resistors seems simple enough for me to attempt on an otherwise functional amp with this construction style - all I'm asking to have done is the shocking issue corrected so that it doesn't kill me when I turn it on. I'm not sure if this is unreasonable.

The tubes are good, they're 70's Sylvanias across the board and I tested them in another amp.

The other thing is there are some places/shops in Toronto known for gouging customers and providing shoddy work, or in some cases not doing work at all and saying they did. I have to avoid these places because if I do pay $250 it can only be once.

• Members

If you feel confident to do the general maintenance work yourself, do it. Then when you bring it in to find the fault, you won't be asking a tech to do that much work.

As for 30+ year old tubes, it's probably time to replace them. You didn't really test them in another amp, other than to see if they still work at all. If they were used for years--irrespective of their being "good quality older tubes"--it's probably time to change them. Don't be like those schmucks who insist that some older tube brands were so good that you can use them for 30 years. :)

• Members

I have a '66 or '67 Bassman sitting here. When I received it, it was supposedly shocking people. I didn't want to test this theory so I haven't plugged it in since. I know it needs a cap job and I'm comfortable doing that myself, as well as 'blackfacing' it. I don't feel comfortable tracking down the source of the shocking and I don't want to work on it till that problem is sorted...so I'd like a proper tech to look after that. I'm looking for one in the Toronto area who might be able to do that, but I can't pay $250 for the work. For that cost I would rather just not fix the amp. Who would you recommend?

Probably just needs the 2-prong power cord replaced with a 3-prong if it hasn't been done yet. If you can handle caps and follow directions, I don't see why you couldn't do the cord yourself too.

http://www.theguitarfiles.com/guitarfile644.html

• Members

Welland isn't too far from St. Catharines, where I used to live...I could look into that and maybe it woudl be an excuse to see all my old friends from there.

The cord has already been done by someone else, but it's still shocking(supposedly), it's possible it wasn't done properly. I suspect the ground lug might not have been attached securely, or that the ground lift switch hasn't been bypassed. I haven't opened the amp up yet, as it's at my parents' house and I'm 2 hours away from there right now.

When I built my audio amps I became convinced of the benefits of a double-pole power switch, as opposed to old style SPST switches. Since I eventually(when I can swing the funds) want to start using balanced electrical power, DP power switches are mandatory(or else a half-cycle of line voltage is dumped on the chassis) so I think I will have to change the power switch. I don't care about it being 'vintage' right down to the power switch and that kind of crap.

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

Archived