Anyone play the Ibanez 8-String yet?

Dethshaft

• Members

whats the deal with people hating on guitars with more strings than 6???

lets look at this from another perspective... what it this was some other instrument, like lets say a piano. if they make a piano with more keys on the low end side, would people be having this same problem with them? or maybe a flute with more access to low notes... would people bitch about that?

if its the music that most extended range players make that people have a problem with, i can understand. honestly, minus the solos, almost all of Meshuggah (one of my favorite bands)'s 8 string stuff could be played on a down tuned 6, i'll admit. A lot of 7 string stuff could be played on a 6. lots of players play 7 strings and only use 2 of them, and thats gay. but for people who use it as just an extension of their instrument's range (ala Steve Vai or Jeff Loomis), whats the problem?

• Members

Good Lord, they just get gayer and gayer. That thing is going to be teh br00talz until the 9-string comes out.

Yeah, well, you {censored}ers need to catch up. There's already 13 string basses (single course, none of this doubling {censored}), so y'all better get off your asses.

• Members

The body looks dwarfishly small in comparison to the neck.

I think I'ld rather go with a multi scaled fanned fret Novax ala Charlie Hunter if I got an 8 string.

I don't need more than 6 strings to bring da heavy, but some sweet ass bass lines under chords through a biamped set up would sound be killer for the solo jazzy stuff.

• Members

Something has to give. 8 strings don't necessarily give you access to lower notes.... they just do THAT as well as letting you retain your upper register.

A baritone 6-string can do F# (as if you would want to... that's ridiculously low) but it would sacrifice the two highest strings, ya dig?

• Members

Looks like a nice guitar.

I used to play Schecter 5 string celloblasters back in the nu-metal days. Those were awesome guitars but never really caught on...and it was really hard to find a band to use it in because other guitar players and bassists really didn't understand the low strings. I think 8-string players will have a similar problem. It takes dedication from other band members to work with something kind of unconventional like real extended range instrument. There are a lot of possibilities to do cool things that don't just involve chugging on power chords.

• Members

havent got one, have played one, was meh. im getting a custom 8 string built by a luthier for the same cost with a way better build quality and components/wood. plus its completely to my specs. the 27 scale isnt long enough.

AND

heres a video of a mate playing it

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/pyricmessiah/?action=view&current=25082007.flv

edit: and you prob wont guess the amp that was being played through =D

• Members

havent got one, have played one, was meh. im getting a custom 8 string built by a luthier for the same cost with a way better build quality and components/wood. plus its completely to my specs. the 27 scale isnt long enough.

AND

and who is this luthier? I'm surprised by people saying these Ibanez's aren't good build quality.

• Members

AND

Sounds cool but it sound like a derivative of meshuggah. I have my own style and i wouldn't just chug along on the F# I would use it in conjunction with some of the weird riff I do. I usually tune to drop C but I want to experiment!

• Members
I had one for a week and then returned it for a refund.

It`s not a bad playing guitar, i was getting used to it in the end, but for that price, it felt like a cheap rg. I think i can`t get used to the newer Ibanez Prestige stuff...At all. I`ve got 3 old Universe`s and a couple RG770`s and they feel nothing like newer Ibanez`s. There so solid and have a feel to them like no other.

Anyway, it`s a cool guitar but i was let down buy the feel of it.

Here`s some pics of it:

RG2228010.jpg
RG2228015.jpg
RG2228013.jpg
RG2228011.jpg

Oh the case was something else though, nice big fat sturdy.

Chris

You look like the drummer of Killswitch Engage :o

• Members

Question for the "string it with a high A" guys: what gauge string would you use for a high A on a baritone scale? I'm curious as to what you could tune up that high that wouldn't snap under regular use...

I think I read on sevenstring.org that some people use .006. Weedly Weedly weeeee haha

• Members
Sounds cool but it sound like a derivative of meshuggah. I have my own style and i wouldn't just chug along on the F# I would use it in conjunction with some of the weird riff I do. I usually tune to drop C but I want to experiment!

Luthier = Charles Cilia

and he poorly played some meshuggah riffs in that clip :p

• Members
Luthier = Charles Cilia

and he poorly played some meshuggah riffs in that clip
:p

Most riffs that sound like Meshuggah riffs are either 1) actual meshuggah riffs, or 2) an "original riff" that sounds like a poorly played meshuggah riff. haha.

I think it was just the sound of the clip. hard to hear everything.

Also, I was doing some research and if I decided to do the 8-string thing full-time, I would have Oni guitars or Sherman guitars spec it out. FRIGGIN' STUNNING work!:thu:

• Members

havent heard of sherman. oni... erhhh to be honest i dont like what they do. they were an option at some point along the lines but the more i saw the more i disliked. i was looking at black machine to but shipping prices + the fact they are on the other side of the world turned me off. from the materials he uses i was also thinking they would sound ice picky as hell.

• Members

That guitar has the widest neck ever. Its like a damn coffee table.
:lol:

Yeah I figured if I ever get bored of playing it I can just remove the neck and use it as surfboard or a sled. Then the body I would just throw at someone I don't like:mad::evil::D

Archived