How can I get over my fear of singing?

FearMeWithMyLP

• Members

Sounds weird doesn't it? But seriously, I can't get myself to sing in bands. My last band wanted me to sing backup, but I held my tongue. Now I'm jamming with this other band, and they wanted to know if I can sing. The thing is, I am really self conscious of my voice. I can't even bring myself to sing in my house when no one else is home! Maybe I have a good voice because my last band really wanted me to take the lead vocals. But it's like I have a fear of my own voice. Does anyone have something that would maybe take my mind offa this? Maybe like some sort of vocal exercises I can do so that when I do get the nerve to sing, it won't freak me out? Thanx.

• Members

hey buddy i know how you feel. even if you feel that you can't, try to sing at home when you're alone, or in your car driving around; places that you feel safe no one will hear you. Try different singing techniques while you're doing this, just to experiment, ie screaming, falsetto, harmonizing with your favorite records. This will give you self-assurance, with yourself at least. Next try singing in front of friends that you know don't give a damn. First time I actually sang in front of people was in last year with my friends, the Tenacious D record. Don't hide behind alocohol. Maybe a beer or two to get you loose, if you really want, but when you're drunk you sound like {censored} and everyone knows it but you.

Doing these things I eventually gathered the courage to sing in front of my girlfriend, just her and me, on her birthday, "Julia" by The Beatles. She loved it. Be comfortable with yourself before you sing in front of others...you'll probably feel like a dumbass and screw up or something. Does that help any?

• Members

I think Veil nailed it. You need to get used to hearing your own voice. You may think you suck, but you probalby don't. Once you are comfortable singing by yourself and in front of friends try to do some Karaoke. Yes, I know, its cheesy, but it gets you in front of people in a reasonably comfortable environment. I say comfortable because most of the time you will probably have a better singing voice than the majority of people singing, and the expectation of the audience isn't very high. So if you don't sing very well nobody will care and if you do even a mediocre job at least some people will be impressed and will raise your confidence (I've experienced this first hand). And besides, you probably won't see any of the people in the audience again so if you do hose up the song up, why care?

I know this works cause I've done it. I've desperatly wanted to sing in a band but am very shy. But now I'm comfortable with my abilities and will be the first in line to sing at karaoke, and now that I'm in a band I have no problem doing backup vocals!

Good luck...

• Members

i used to be JUst like you. But if your writing songs but are to shy to sing them that sucks. 'a closet guitarist' as i used to call my self . All i did was sing to my influential cd's and whereever and whenever i could...Without people being around. like mr. man sayed before its all bout confidence and being comfortable. And YOU will get better, its that thing called practice. it worked for me, Cause i went from a 'closet guitarist/singer' , now i can get vibrato out of my voice ,,,which is another topic .--vibrato, is that what its called?, i dunno.

• Members

I dont know how old you are, but I'm assuming that you are 21 or younger. I had the same problem. I had been told that i couldnt sing by my mom and my music teacher in school. This had a huge impact on me. I always felt self counsious about my voice. I started paying guitar and keybords in high school, and was in a couple bands, and never really even tried to sing. It wasnt until i moved to seattle, and didnt have any musician friends any more. I went out and bought a cheap mic, and cakewalk for my computer. I started just recording stuff, and it sounded ok to me. I then played it for other people, and they said it was cool. This really turned things arround for me. After a wile i started to learn my voice. This is the most important part. It's not so much about hitting notes, its about how you hit them. You can sing the same note 1000 diffetent ways. some of these will be instinctive and others you may have to learn.

Just recently I took a vocal class at the local community college, and made huge improvements in confidence, tone, volume control, and most of all learned a lot more about my voice.

I wish all this could have happened for me when i was 17. Hell, I'd be a rock star by now if it had. Instead I am 28, and in a 4 piece band with a 22 year old female front person. She has a better chance of taking us somewhere than I do. You know why. Because she figured out at 18 what i didnt figure out until I was 26 or 27.

Now is the time to start singing. If you ever feel like you could use a confidence boost just listen to a little bob dylan, or velvet underground.

Brian

• Members

Listen. First, you need to be comfortable singing alone. Do this by playing music loudly while doing it, and to a slight extent drowning your own voice out. Just keep easing your self from near-unheard to prominent. And really sing when you do it. None of that "singing-in-the-crowd-in-church" {censored}. Put your heart into it.

I cant really help you with the singing in front of others, but I know surely that the first part is more important. Dont even think of others, focus on yourself for now.

• Members

In Moulin Rouge, Nicole Kidman (who before the movie was not a singer) said that she would get into character to sing. I am shy about singing, which is not good for a lead singer. When I sing I get in character, think about your influentual singers.. Be them when your singing!

Archived