Looking For Musicians..........

street survivor

• Members

......in the portland, oregon, vancouver, washington area for orignals.

i do electric as well as acoustic stuff. really into the jayhawks, son volt, the wallflowers, ccr, all 70's rock expecially southern rock like skynyrd, allmans, outlaws, 38 special, etc.... cool country stuff, dwight yoakam, blackhawk, not the cheezy poppy crap.

really need a guitar partner who can also sing good harmonies, write songs [or have the patients and dedication it takes to hang with those who do] likes to rehearse and loves acoustic as well as electric.

i am 40, but age isn't a big issue, just not doing any thrash, metal or punk.

if the jayhawks "smile" or son volt's "trace" are the kind of cd's you want to make, let's get in touch.

CALLING ALL ROOTS ROCKERS!!!!

• Members

Cool, I grew up in protland, and now live in seattle. they used to have the rocket down there, but they went under. I'm sure you could look in some local "free" paper. Every town has one or two. You know the one that is always half personal ads, and half whore ads. The tiny space left over i usually musician ads.

brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

HOLY SHIT!

I can't believe that someone else in Portland actually likes the jayhawks! They are my favorite band. Just thought I'd throw that out there!

I'm from Portland and just formed a band. We've been playing out a bit lately. Kicks but to finally be in a band that is playing out.

Anyway, check out these sites for free musician classified ads, it worked for me:

www.portlandmercury.com

www.wweek.com

www.musician.com

The Mercury and Willamette Week ads run on the web and in the distributed papers around town. The last one there is practically worthless, but I did have two replies from it.

Good luck with your search for fellow musicians.

• Members

hey, thanx for the reply and the info!!

did you see the jayhawks this summer when they were at the roseland bar and grill [the old starry night club]?

my girlfriend and i got there and these tables and candles are set up on the main floor and i'm like what the phuc?

so i ask and they tell me the jayhawks are going to be doing a acoustic set. just 3 guys, gary loris, the bass player and drummer.

so i am thinking how the hell are these guys gonna cover all that great harmony, expecially the stuff the chick keyboard player does.

i was floored. those guys coverd it dead on and there drummer did all the chick high harmony stuff. the bass player would switch to mandolin and it was outstanding. i felt i was truelly in the presence of greatness that night. gary loris is the best songwriter going right now [close second being jacob dylan of the wallflowers].

the jayhawks are my current favorite band [that is still performing].

where are you guys playing next? what kind of stuff are you doing?

• Members

Yes, I was in the first table/row that night so to speak, sharing the table with total strangers. What an amazing performance! My favorite moment: Gary's harmonica holder falls off right as he's getting ready for a harmonica solo and the whole band stops! Tim O'Reagan (drums) was, to my surprise, excellent on vocals espesially on "What Led Me to This Town". How can a guy hit those notes?!

Gary Louris is perhaps one of my biggest insparations to play my guitar durning the past couple of years. I sound nothing like him but after listening to some tunes I always feel myself having the urge to play.

I also saw the Jayhawks at Crystal Ballroom and at the Aladdin Theater when they were promoting the new Smile CD as a full band. Oddly enough, I'd never heard of them but my mother of all people called me up one day to say they had a spare ticket for the show. I was hooked instantly.

To answer your question we are playing this Saturday the 30th at Mad Hatter Lounge at 10:30. Our band name is "Foolscap". Pretty much all pop/rock. Here's a website that you can here clips of the music we play:

www.cdbaby.com/cd/tugwell/

Steve Tugwell is our lead singer/songwriter/bassist. Since we are three peice band at the moment we play the songs a little more rockin to make up for the missing guitar parts when compared to the CD.

Archived