Which is more enjoyable for you, band or solo?

• Members

hey everyone, I was just wondering if you find playing/writing in a band more enjoyable (and/or easier) than playing solo material. I ask this because I play keys and sing in a band, but I also have a lot of my own material, which I obviously find easier to express, but is also a lot different in style because I don't worry about others opinions.

just curious if you find it more enjoyable, both musically and socially to play your own stuff, or to play in a band situation.

- Joe

• Members

i like writing with both actually...

with a band, we work on the songs together instead of one of us writing a whole song and tell each other "here play this"

collaborations with other musicians are fun when you expect it to be just that. it's just as much a learning experience as it is a creative one...yeah i think that came out how i wanted it too...

solo stuff on the other hand. you can write how you want and express what you want. total control...any anal retentive musician can't say no to that...

• Members

Originally posted by not_unbored

total control...any anal retentive musician can't say no to that...

Amen, Brother ! Now only if I could sing as well as I hear the voice in my head. :(

p.s. Male vocalist needed for Rock/classic/southern/country/blues recording project. Must take direction from perfectionist songwriter, and be willing to go away when the job is done. ;)

• Members

I've been doing this for a while now and enjoy both. The band obviously gives you more of a 'role' to play and is rewarding, but my solo stuff gives me a chance to try different things. I try not to compare, just make each project the best it can be. I think having multiple outlets makes each project better, cause I'm not always trying to work in things that won't fit. I can just try it my 'other' gig.

• Members

Originally posted by thriftyshirt

I think there is real truth to the idea that a good band is greater than the sum of its parts.

Probably very true, but so many great albums were the product of either only one person or under the creative control of one person. I think it's the certain focus and continuity that shows up in alot of great bands, as well as in a lot of great solo acts.

Archived