Tell me about the Bogner Uberschall

killswitch_19

• Members

cant you send it back to bogner and ask them to

do that.?

I've tried it with a few eq's, didn't really do what I wanted.

Mark Cameron told me one of the Uber prototypes had a gained-out JCM800 sound to it, and had plenty of upper mids. I was hoping someone could mod it a bit more in that direction. I don't want it to feel like a Marshall though.

BTW, I have a couple Wizards, and I'll keep you in mind if I ever decide to sell one.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

which boost did you like.?

There's my Herbert and my old Uberschall (the very one Joshualogan is spamming in this thread :poke:). While I do like the Uberschall, the Herbert blows it away IMO. I pretty much agree with Wizzard of Oz - except for the loop issue. I never had problems with anything I ran in the loop. The Uberschall is much better using a clean boost infront of it. Otherwise, it is too loose for what I like. Consider a Rivera K-Tre if you want something similar to an Uber, but tighter and less muddy. Plus they are very cheap in comparision.

Herbert-Uberschall1.jpg

• Members

sure you can..doesnt a POD sound digital.?

(no being funny but it does.)

the deizel to me has a certian tone to it that sounds

digital..(or maybe more "modern" sounding)..

organic to me..means it breaths more..(like a plexi does)

and its warmer sounding..

THANK YOU. Some people around here are so ready to fight with or ridicule anyone that disagrees with them about their precious $4,500 amp that they don't take the time to realize that I was NOT insulting them or the amp, I was asking for an opinion and giving mine.

I have not spent a lot of time with a Diezel or an Uber, but I like some of the tones I hear from both. The Uber to me seems like it breathes more/is more open sounding, whereas the Herbert is more compressed. Just seeing if anyone that has spent an extensive amount of time with both would agree.

• Members

Can you guys compare it to a Diezel? I've heard a Herbert live a few times, and I never really cared for the sound, it sounded almost digital, not very organic.

Yeah, I know what you mean, that's one of the reasons I didn't like it. I think the Uber is more organic and punchier than the Herbert.

Another forumite had the Herbert for awhile and I played his extensively, didn't really inspire me so I got an Uber instead. I played a Herbert again about a year ago at a trade show and liked it alot more, it was going through a Diezel front loaded cab and felt super immediate.

I've heard from too many people that the Herbert doesn't cut well in a band situation, so I would stay away. I also found it didn't record very well.

• Members

There's my Herbert and my old Uberschall (the very one Joshualogan is spamming in this thread :poke:). While I do like the Uberschall, the Herbert blows it away IMO. I pretty much agree with Wizzard of Oz - except for the loop issue. I never had problems with anything I ran in the loop. The Uberschall is much better using a clean boost infront of it. Otherwise, it is too loose for what I like. Consider a Rivera K-Tre if you want something similar to an Uber, but tighter and less muddy. Plus they are very cheap in comparision.

Herbert-Uberschall1.jpg

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

• Members

which boost did you like.?

That's a bad monkey in the pic. I also tried an OD808, OD9, Analogman modded OD9, and an HBE powerscreamer. The analogman was the best. I recently got an Xotic BB preamp which I like even more but I never got to try it with the Uber.

• Members

THANK YOU. Some people around here are so ready to fight with or ridicule anyone that disagrees with them about their precious $4,500 amp that they don't take the time to realize that I was NOT insulting them or the amp, I was asking for an opinion and giving mine.

"precious $4,500 amp..." Yeah... :rolleyes:

I love it how some here are still hung up on money! Who cares how much it costs, when you like or not is all that matters. As far as $4500 goes... that's an average price to me. I own over $50,000 in gear right now (and that's a conservative estimate). $4500 isn't a lot of money anymore by today's standards.

• Members

Hi Matt. :wave:

• Members

"precious $4,500 amp..."
Yeah...
:rolleyes:

I love it how some here are still hung up on money! Who cares how much it costs, when you like or not is all that matters. As far as $4500 goes... that's an average price to me. I own over $50,000 in gear right now (and that's a conservative estimate). $4500 isn't a lot of money anymore by today's standards.

I agree completely, money isn't a big deal. I'm not going to argue with you because it's stupid, I just don't see why you were so quick to take offense when I said I thought it sounded digital. Did I ever compare it to a POD? No. It could have been how the guy's had theirs dialed in, and I was asking you or anyone else who has played an Uber and Herbert if they felt the same way. Simple as that. I wasn't trying to insult anyone or their amp.

• Members

I agree completely, money isn't a big deal. I'm not going to argue with you because it's stupid, I just don't see why you were so quick to take offense when I said I thought it sounded digital. Did I ever compare it to a POD? No. It could have been how the guy's had theirs dialed in, and I was asking you or anyone else who has played an Uber and Herbert if they felt the same way. Simple as that. I wasn't trying to insult anyone or their amp.

I took no offense to what you said. Though I do think some people like to {censored} all over Diezels for some reason - especially ENGL lovers (I own an ENGL SE too). Most perpetuate the message board myths. It can't cut in a mix, records like crap, it's a nice amp but its not worth $4,000,:blah::blah:. Most of them have never even played one or been in the same room as one. I personally don't care if anyone likes or hates my amps. I also don't care how much they cost. If I like the tone and the $ is worth it to me, I'll buy it. Not everyone is going to like the same amp. That's why there are countless amp makers out there.

• Members

Hi Mike.
:wave:

I took no offense to what you said. Though I do think some people like to {censored} all over Diezels for some reason - especially ENGL lovers (I own an ENGL SE too). Most perpetuate the message board myths. It can't cut in a mix, records like crap, it's a nice amp but its not worth $4,000,
:blah:
:blah:. Most of them have never even played one or been in the same room as one. I personally don't care if anyone likes or hates my amps. I also don't care how much they cost. If I like the tone and the $ is worth it to me, I'll buy it. Not everyone is going to like the same amp. That's why there are countless amp makers out there.

Very well said. I think most of it is they're trying in some way not to justify the price tag. That's a great way to miss out on some killer tone, and that doesn't just go for Diezel...

• Members

I do indeed know how to use it as I've been playing guitar for over 24 years and I have built a number of tube amps from scratch myself. How about you? How many amps have you built?

:wave:

I've built about 4, actually.

If you knew how to use the Uberschall, you wouldn't be complaining about the clean channel being too quite. Tone is subjective, yes. However, I don't care if you don't like the amp's tone. Not understanding how to work the thing doesn't mean it's a bad amp, it just means you have no clue how to adjust the amp or it means you didn't bother to head the amp-maker's advice on how to dial the amp in correctly.

Both Diezel and Bogner make great amps. But, the Uberschall and Herbert, or VH-4, have very different tonal characteristics.

I like them both. Whatever floats your boat. But, saying a book is bad because you didn't understand it is a lame excuse.

• Members

ive got a bb, i really like it..makes any amp sound

like its alot fatter..

That's a bad monkey in the pic. I also tried an OD808, OD9, Analogman modded OD9, and an HBE powerscreamer. The analogman was the best. I recently got an Xotic BB preamp which I like even more but I never got to try it with the Uber.

• Members

I used to run a Zvex SHO in front of my Uber...tightens things up nicely. :thu:

JLogan, who's the avatar girl?

• Members

have your tried to get them to do the mod.?

They told me they don't have time to do any mods.

They also say that the Uber is exactly as Reinhold intended it to be, which may be true, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't need more upper mids.

Besides, Reinhold scares me. :cry:

• Members

I've built about 4, actually.

If you knew how to use the Uberschall, you wouldn't be complaining about the clean channel being too quite. Tone is subjective, yes. However, I don't care if you don't like the amp's tone.

Bogner even mentions on it's website that the clean channel lacks the volume to keep up with the lead channel. I guess the people who design & build the amp don't know how to operate it either. Please... Take your veiled personal attacks and piss off.

The Uber sounds like a muddy, dark, undefined, sloppy mess. Hopefully Bogner will get it right with the new 4th Revision Red Uberschall model.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Members

all the videos and sound files sound really similar..

(not that its bad.)its a killer amp,but they all have

that deizel sound stamp (i quess)..

and nope havent played on yet..

Well, I really recommend waiting till you have the chance to play one in person. PC sound clips are pretty worthless when deciding on an amp.

• Members

The effects loop on the Uber is great IMO, I had great success using a Boss DD-20 Digital Delay through it when I had mine.

The Uber is a specialty amp that caters to a specific niche IMO, and will work great for certain styles of music.

They tend to record very easily, the earlier revisions were darker than the latest Rev Blue, but just like there are staunch fans of 2 channel Dual Rec's vs. the newer 3 channels there are fans of earlier revision Ubers that will only play those versus the new one.

I did have some issues in a band mix with my Revision 2, the Blue cut through a little better. But there are tradeoffs, the Revision 2 had a more 3D sound and was just monstrous sounding.

The newer one sounds better for ripping fast solo lines and cutting through, but sounds less 3D as a result....

Also the clean channel sounds killer at band volume, it can sound anemic if you are evaluating it at bedroom volume but the clean really opens up and balances well with the gain channel as long as you follow the guidelines about keeping the gain channel volume set lower and the clean volume up high.

In fact at band volume my drummer liked the clean channel on the Rev Blue better than the gain channel which suprised me lol......

• Members

i actually broke into a laugh when i read this..

Reinhold scares you.??? (id tell them this is what

you want and i wouldnt give a {censored} what he thinks is

right.)...lol !!

They told me they don't have time to do any mods.

They also say that the Uber is exactly as Reinhold intended it to be, which may be true, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't need more upper mids.

Besides, Reinhold scares me.
:cry:

• Members

thats not completly true..the only place im going

to be able to listen them would be up in chicago,

and right now im not driving 4 hours (there and back)

to check out an amp..i have a pretty good idea of whats

what..(but your right i should if im going to spend money)

seen alot of videos as well..(only a couple on the

uber) and bunch on the Deizel.....

Well, I really recommend waiting till you have the chance to play one in person. PC sound clips are pretty worthless when deciding on an amp.

Archived