Line 6 Toneport UX1...

tomrulz

• Members

Yay, for simple recording direct into the computer.

You can probably get away just fine with the simple GX version. It only cost me like 70 bucks

I've had a few latency issues playing real fast with the high gain settings. Other than that it's cool. If you've got the money, the new stereo USB X3 would probably be the way to go. NO latency issues with that.

• Members

Yay!

It's got all the pod models that are worthwhile...and most of the junk has been left out.

I've been able to not only upgrade to a vista compatible audio interface in the UX2 (getting rid of my old Maudio 2496) but I've been able to get rid of the PODxt off the desktop as well....all for 150 bucks....

More money for more 'relevant' gear!

• Members

I reviewed this for Electronic Musician magazine. For what it is, it's quite a good little DI box. Since I wrote the review, Line 6 came out with a DAW plug-in version that you can update to. I would say that it's almost worth getting the UX1 and then upgrading to the DAW version so you can use it as a plug-in (unless, of course you don't use a DAW).

Orren

• Members

Its a good bit of kit. To get a useable tone out of it you realy need to skimp on the gain as much as you can otherwise its sounds like bees in a jar.

Does that imply it's not that great for the heavy stuff? Or that it can do heavy as long as you don't go overboard with the gain?

• Members

Does that imply it's not that great for the heavy stuff? Or that it can do heavy as long as you don't go overboard with the gain?

It can do heavy but it has way more gain available than is useable IMO. Quite a few people have stuck some metal clips on here using the UX2 which for all intents and purposes is the same. I have a clip in the doom jam thread if you can find it.

• Members

can you use those things as a mic pre and just mic up an amp, or would it be better to use something else for that?

you can & it works just fine for that...altho the vintage uk mic pre model is the only one worth a damn IMO

i give it a yay...i bought it expecting it to be a total let down, but i've used it a ton

• Members

you can & it works just fine for that...altho the vintage uk mic pre model is the only one worth a damn IMO

hmm- well what if i didnt want to use any of the modeling stuff on it?

i guess maybe something else would prolly be better.

• Members

hmm- well what if i didnt want to use any of the modeling stuff on it?

i guess maybe something else would prolly be better.

probably...i bought it for recording bass direct, but the guitar modeling stuff is quite cool, and the mic pre isn't bad either

but most of the time i use my firepod for anything miked up

Archived