Who are the greatest American Songwriters?

dinamo72

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by magnetic

Who did the song writing for Fleetwood Mac Lindsay B.?

Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie each wrote and sang their own songs for FM, for the most part. Although Lindsey did all the arranging and stuff for Stevie, and if you've heard her demos, you can safely say that he pretty much wrote the instrumentation. I think he is one of the best and most underrated writers and guitarists in American music history.

If you were to add Brits to the list, I'd say Cat Stevens and Kate Bush (some of hers was friggin irritating but you can't deny she's a brilliant writer).

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by posmaster

Steve Perry (of the late great Cherry Poppin' Daddies)

Tori Amos

Trent Reznor (his dedication to stretching the craft is incredible)

Kevin Moore (of Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI)

Sean Malone

Dar Williams

John Petrucci (Dream Theater)

Ian Moore

Frank Zappa (the only
true
musical genius of the 20th century)

Kurt Harland - what Trent wants to be
:)
Ty Tabor

Mike Keneally - the closest successor to Zappa we have, and that ain't bad.

Yogi

Danny Elfman - Oingo Boingo was the product of his freaky vision

Chris DeGarmo - the heart of classic Queensryche

Jerry Cantrell - Layne who?

Jason Bieler - Saigon Kick wrote the best late 80s metal, and they're remembered (if at all) for a FRICKIN BALLAD. Hateful mass media.

Kevin Gilbert - I'm not even sure where to start with him. . .

Based on your choices (especially the last one, but not excluding many) I think we'd make great friends. :)

• Members

I agree with Picker up there Dylan's gott'a be on there somewhere I mean...he wrote at least 100 classics. I think Skynyrd belongs somewhere on there as do The Eagles. The Beatles also have some awesome songs. Nice Idea for a thread man.:D

• Members

Originally posted by Mac389

I agree with Picker up there Dylan's gott'a be on there somewhere I mean...he wrote at least 100 classics. I think Skynyrd belongs somewhere on there as do The Eagles. The Beatles also have some awesome songs. Nice Idea for a thread man.
:D

The Beatles ain't american man...

• Members

Zack de la Rocha...hands down. Forget all those corny love songs that every song writer makes up in their minds. Zack's political rap was pure poetry. So beautiful it should be in a poems collection book somewhere. You can relate to all his lyrics because he only raps about stuff that took place at some point or other in history.

It's a damn shame Chris Cornel is now singing for the former Rage. He's wasting all of Tom Morello's talents. As good as Morello is...I don't think even he can save Cornel from sounding corny.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

A few I haven't seen mentioned...maybe I just missed them:

Buddy Guy

Marvin Gaye

Smokey Robinson

Willie Nelson

Don Felder (I know someone mentioned Don Henley, but Felder wrote some of the Eagles best tunes, including Hotel California)

And if you wanted to expand the list to include composers who work in film and TV...

Jerry Goldsmith(my personal favorite, but since I attended several master classes he taught when I was in college, I MIGHT be a little biased)

John Williams(One of the few everybody knows)

Patrick Williams(mostly TV...Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, and the list goes on and on)

Mike Post(Hill Street Blues, LA Law, etc.)

Henry Mancini( Do I really need to mention anything here?)

Alexander Courage

• Members
Originally posted by billsworld

A few I haven't seen mentioned...maybe I just missed them:

Buddy Guy

Marvin Gaye

Smokey Robinson

Willie Nelson

Don Felder (I know someone mentioned Don Henley, but Felder wrote some of the Eagles best tunes, including Hotel California)

Don Felder wrote the music to Hotel California, but none of the lyrics. I'm pretty sure that his only contribution lyric-wise to the Eagles is the song "Visions" on the One Of These Nights album. Not a bad song, but not great. My choices:

Don Henley

Glenn Frey

Steve Earle

Kris Kristoffersen

Paul Simon

Bob Dylan

Jackson Browne

Bruce Sprinsteen

Merle Haggard

• Members

Erin Copland

George Gershwin